Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

eBay hacked as well as hotmail!? HELP?

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:13 pm
Hello BK's

Some of you might be aware that my eBay account was hacked (November) and I didnt find out about it until last week (21st March). Conicidentally on the same day that I was made aware of the eBay scam my Hotmail account was also hacked and converted into Chinese, which is where the eBay hacker was based. Now I dont know much about this hacking lark so I wonder if any of you guys are able to explain in lay terms how it could have happened. Over the 5 m onths that the guy has been trading under my account he may have ripped people off to the tone of $15000. There are $9000 worth of listing fees. I am receiving some 300 emails a day from disappoited customers / buyers and I have had absolutely nothing to do with all of this (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! the knife is out!) There has been no interference of any of my financial accounts (let's hope it stays that way!)

eBay have suggested that it must have been my hotmail account that was hacked first? It has been a week since all of this came to light. eBay are the most frustrating company I have ever had to deal with. They must share the one brain cell that they own between them and keep getting the one operative that has handed it on!?

So guys and gals what is the route of the evil hacker and what other than changing all my passwords and improving my security can be done to prevent a return visit?

Any advice gratefully received

Regards Green

You cannot talk yourself out of trouble you walked right into![color=green][/color]
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm
My e-mail account has been hacked and someone is sending out spam emails in my name also. Changed my email p/w  , but don't know yet if that will stop it. Anyone knows how to get rid of this, please let me know also.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 pm
I would change all your PW. Most likely your computer got a virus with a key logger that sent all your PWs to who ever did this so make sure to scan your computer for viruses. I would run malwarebytes on your computer in safe mode from a USB stick. The free version will do everything you need. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

I would contact hotmail next and do what I did attach your cellphone to it so no one can change your PW with out texting you a code first. But in the end I bet your computer got infected then they used the info they got form you to do this.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 pm
Did you built your computer? I have a gateway with windows 7 they have undated my computer with 32 security updates. Are you up to date with your security? Someone tried to put a device in my computer to copy my credit card numbers cause I buy a lot online. One of security updates caught it and didn't allow it.

If you have an opening they can exploit they will hack your computer. So all I suggest is BUY a computer. I know most here build their's I don't recommend it at all, to easy to get into.  I have windows firewall, windows defender and avg antivirus, mail scanner and about 5 others things that come with avg. Avg the FREE ADDITION.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 pm
Make sure you are using a anti-virus for your phone (smart phone) too. They are just as venerable as a pc. I use lookout from the Android market, and (knock on wood) have not had a problem. Its a free download for the version I have.

Mac

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:03 am
yeah cake changing your password will stop it . it happened to me also . if i remember right gmail can be used as a forarding email so you could use gmail for creating accounts and then have them forwarded to your actual account it may help stop the hacker getting into your email

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:07 am
passwords should include both upper and lower case letters as well as numbers and symbols, with this in mind some thing don't require as high security as other so don't all symbols as they can be used to hack into accounts etc. also the letter should not spell a word. do not store any passwords on your system that give access to personal info like financial details, also change high risk areas password regularly place like ebay, email accounts, bank account, online stores, etc. etc.

also don't use the same passwords.

remember to logout of site like email and ebay. second of all also as if the provide a system register service so only devices like your pc and mobile can login and do things.

but i will admin china are a really bad place for hackers or at least their last bounce. i must receive 3 to 4 hack attempts a day and the origin ip always seems to be china.

one final question if the person has put up loads of listings then has he changed the paypal account assigned to the ebay account if not how is he getting the money. so it would be worth checking your paypal account as well asap

It is Going To Hurt
http://taylormadehosting.co.uk
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:10 am

Nam-Ranger wrote (View Post):

Did you built your computer? I have a gateway with windows 7 they have undated my computer with 32 security updates. Are you up to date with your security? Someone tried to put a device in my computer to copy my credit card numbers cause I buy a lot online. One of security updates caught it and didn't allow it.

If you have an opening they can exploit they will hack your computer. So all I suggest is BUY a computer. I know most here build their's I don't recommend it at all, to easy to get into.  I have windows firewall, windows defender and avg antivirus, mail scanner and about 5 others things that come with avg. Avg the FREE ADDITION.

Built or bought all computers have the same vulnerabilities.  I only run Windows firewall and Kaspersky AV.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:11 am
Green I would worried about you bank account information. more so if you used it on ebay. personally I would close thema ccounts and open new ones.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:51 am
if you are going to change passwords its always best to do so on another pc as yours may have a keylogging software and anything you change on that pc will be seen and recorded by the "hacker" also im not sure if ebay tracks ip address but it would be a good thing to ask as they may see the difference in ip address linked to your account.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 pm
You could also be a victim of a fake hotmail or ebay site. It is the easiest way to steal someones login info for hackers. One of the tips I got from my bank for using online banking was to never use a shortcut to a secure web page such as bookmark. Always type in the address. Bookmarks can be altered without your knowledge and they can lead you to a web site looking just like the real one but with only one purpose, to steal your login info. It is good to have some kind of antiphishing protection on your computer. It checks if the web site is real or fake and blocks the fake ones automatically. Beafore you change your passwords clean your computer because if it is infected the change will not help.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Nam-Ranger wrote (View Post):

Mechanical Firewall, Residential Gateway behind that, Stay off Adult Entertainment sites, and MSE thats it, I scan once a month at trendmicro . So I have 2 routers Each configured to blow up the outside world..........LOL

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:28 pm

reddragn wrote (View Post):

You could also be a victim of a fake hotmail or ebay site. It is the easiest way to steal someones login info for hackers. One of the tips I got from my bank for using online banking was to never use a shortcut to a secure web page such as bookmark. Always type in the address. Bookmarks can be altered without your knowledge and they can lead you to a web site looking just like the real one but with only one purpose, to steal your login info. It is good to have some kind of antiphishing protection on your computer. It checks if the web site is real or fake and blocks the fake ones automatically. Beafore you change your passwords clean your computer because if it is infected the change will not help.

This is why I never click on a link to Pay-pal, or e-bay, or any thing that has any personal account info on it. the Address is typed in, and I also quit using IE, Microsoft's gateway into your life.