Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

E-Reader

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm
So I'm thinking of getting a e-reader. What I'm looking for i something that has a touch screen, Wi-Fi  and has at least 16 gig memory(don't mind if most of it is the expansion port). Hopefully something small i can fit into my pocket. Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29 pm
Kindle Fire is a good reader and tablet I hear.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:51 pm
Kindle touch is $99, the Kindle Fire is the color, more wow factor, Kindle for $199

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm
If all you want is an ereader and not a full tablet I second the kindle touch. All kindles have top notch integration with amazon services.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Can i use a kindle to get books from other sources or just Amazon? For example Barns and noble

Must admit that i was thinking of fire but with a battery life of 8 hours vs the non color types that has 2 month its just not rely worth it since most books i read don't come in color out side of the cover. Plus with it lasting so long its just one less thing i have to keep track of power wise

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Last edited by Aliceter on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:20 pm
My wife has a Kindle Fire and loves it. Can't beat the price.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:40 pm
ok....Right now as i see it its a choice between Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi or fire. I'm leaning a bit more to the Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi due to the fact that the 3g is free to use without a subscription or plan. That and the battery life definitely give it the advantage over the fire. That being said I would like to know how some of you think about Kindle Owners' Lending Library. If i get the paper from kindle dose it come with coupons like i would get at the newsstand?

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:15 pm
Not sure about the lending library. As far as the free 3g I think it only works on amazon.com and Wikipedia.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:23 pm
I don't know much about the readers except that I was given a Kindle but it seemed limited as to where you can get books. My wife was going to use it but the Sony ebook had more options like downloading current ebooks from the local library. She uses the Sony and we gave the Kindle to my niece who uses it more like a tablet.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:03 pm

tet wrote (View Post):

Not sure about the lending library. As far as the free 3g I think it only works on amazon.com and Wikipedia.

True...thats why I'm still considering the fire since i really could get what i want at home from my own Wi-Fi. So really the only down side is that one has a better battery.

ReginaRifles wrote (View Post):

I don't know much about the readers except that I was given a Kindle but it seemed limited as to where you can get books. My wife was going to use it but the Sony ebook had more options like downloading current ebooks from the local library. She uses the Sony and we gave the Kindle to my niece who uses it more like a tablet.

Was looking at the sony e-readers specs and was wondering what ePub Support was?

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:14 pm
ePub is one of the standards, for instance PDF, so it can read files in that format; basically gives you more options for sourcing your reading material.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 pm
Google announced the Nexus 7 officially today, so maybe you'll see a drop in price for the Kindle Fire soon.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 am
I picked up a 7" Pandigiital Novel from amazon for $55 refurbished.

It comes with android 2.2 but I managed to root it to 2.3.

If all your looking for is a color ereader with wifi and internet browser then its a good option.  I have kindle app installed and a few other apps but it doesn't have access to the real android market but it comes with an app that gives access to kindle app and others like games and stuff.

It doesn't play videos well but I can't complain since it only cost $55.  It also doesn't play fast paced games, like angry birds, well.  Battery life is okay as long as you remember to turn it off completely when not in use instead of just the basic sleep mode.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Damon wrote (View Post):

Google announced the Nexus 7 officially today, so maybe you'll see a drop in price for the Kindle Fire soon.

That or they might come out with a new version too

MisterMadd wrote (View Post):

I picked up a 7" Pandigiital Novel from amazon for $55 refurbished.

It comes with android 2.2 but I managed to root it to 2.3.

If all your looking for is a color ereader with wifi and internet browser then its a good option.  I have kindle app installed and a few other apps but it doesn't have access to the real android market but it comes with an app that gives access to kindle app and others like games and stuff.

It doesn't play videos well but I can't complain since it only cost $55.  It also doesn't play fast paced games, like angry birds, well.  Battery life is okay as long as you remember to turn it off completely when not in use instead of just the basic sleep mode.

Never heard of this one myself. Its interesting. Wonder if it can purchase both kindle and barn and noble books with it?

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:12 pm
I have an iPad and love it  - but is npt small or cheap. Wife has a B & W Nook - loves it and it is very small and inexpensive, hers is WiFi only also which keeps down the price. All depends on how much glitz and other stuff you want it to do - other than be a readert and what the budget is and as you mention the size. If you are near a Barnes and Noble or Best Buy or HHGregg or a place like thatI recommend you go and hold/look at them.