Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Wireless networking

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 pm
Hey all I need a little help with a situation. I am looking to connect several laptops and computers to a wireless router that also has a storage area.  Its the Western Digital My Net N900 Central HD Dual-Band Storage Router 2TB - Fast HD Streaming w/ FasTrack Plus QoS – Backup Software - 4 Gigabit Ports - WDBKSP0020BCH-HESN from tiger direct.  I just need some information about setting up several computers and printers on this system so that the users could access the information stored on the hard drive of the router and also print and other functions.  Any information would be helpful. Thanks Devi1Dog.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm
Ooo on pre-order from Newegg Canada. First thing i would do is look or a firmware upgrade. or the WD and/or networking forums. Or .. RTFM. Read The Fudging Manual. It looks to be  BRAND new product, so folsk will nto have had much time to mess with it.

But it looks like a pretty sweet device.

So what kind of access you do you to give to said storage? Certain users and/or access points to particular data? Any scheduling involved? Or  just one set of username/password for all, with access to all files, all the time? I hope it's the latter, as setting that stuff up for larger groups can be a real pain - in which case I'd suggest finding a good networking tech be hired to come in for a couple hours.

I'm about to go to bed, but I'll hunt down the manual and have a look-see later today. This thing has piqued my nerd-spot and I'm curious about learning about what it can do.

Good to  have you back, and I hope you are enjoying the new gig.

EDIT:  Well i had to go looking already, and there is a firmware update already:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmynetn900c

EDIT 2: and the manual:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705074.pdf

okay now I'm REALLY going to bed.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm
LOL  well its great to be back and I hope that I can get this network thing up and running.  And yes, it will be a group of people with a password and username that can share files without having to have them on there pc's.  I am trying to set it up so that we can share files without having to email them or save them on a jump drive and go to each other's pc's and load it up from there.
Also its about 5-8 people that need to be set up on the network. We need to be able to share .xml, .dwg, and other files without transferring any other issues from one computer to another.  So any help with this would be appreciated.  I have never set up a network before, other than my wi-fi at my house, and would like to try to have this done soon.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:02 pm
Have you thought about Dropbox - online service for file sharing - it works very well, also I have used Google Docs?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am
Well settings up the shares is pretty simple. There is a Wizard that you can go through for setting it all up and the divice will be seen as any other storage on the network. If the suer/pass is a problem, for some reason, you can set up the MAC filter and only allow pre-determined MAC address on the network. Of course this won't work if you are too allow guests access.

You can also add external drives if you manage to stuff the existing 2gb.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --