Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

PC Problems

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 pm
So for about a month I have been having micro stutters about every two seconds while gaming. I have tested the ram and CPU, both appear OK. I have tried two different video cards with no positive results. I have even gone as fast as to wipe my system and it still happens. Resource manager shows what appear to be small CPU usage spikes, however running processes shows nothing spiking every two seconds. I cannot figure this out. Any thoughts?

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:26 pm
Found this. Hope it helps or gives you some ideas.

Micro stuttering has been seen in just about all video systems that use more than one GPU to render frames. Two of the more popular systems affected are nVidia SLi and ATI Crossfire. To use such video solutions, your computer needs to have a special motherboard that's configured to allow sharing of data among multiple GPUs.

Not all games are affected, and not everybody using multiple video GPUs will see stuttering. Single-GPU video systems are not affected.

Possible Workarounds
A number of workarounds have been developed for micro stuttering. One is to simply configure the system to use only one of the graphics cards--a solution that will definitely eliminate micro stuttering, but will also eliminate the performance benefits you were looking for when you bought the system. Another is to configure your game to run under Split Frame Rendering rather than AFR. This fix eliminates the problem of micro stuttering, but may create visual splits in the middle of the frame.

A third approach is to configure the game to run a Frames-Per-Second (FPS) rate that is faster than the speed at which your monitor can refresh frames. So if your monitor has a refresh rate of 60Hz, you would set the game to run at 70 or 80 FPS. By over-driving the monitor in this way, you create a situation in which stutters can't be seen by the monitor.

Often, updating video drivers can also eliminate micro stuttering for some games. Check with the manufacturer of your motherboard or multiple-GPU video card system to make sure you have the latest drivers.

Read more: What Is Micro Stuttering? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6736867_micro-stuttering_.html#ixzz208iHTg00

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm
I don't run an SLI or Crossfire set up.  I also saw that when I went to Google.  When I get home from work today I will be checking hard drive health to see if that is causing it.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 pm
Sorry sir..Only page I could access from work.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm
I wonder if rolling back the drivers for my video card could be a solution.  Probably try that today as well.

At first I thought it was lag. My connection is usually not that great. But then I noticed it in single player games as well.  But it does not seem to happen in every game.  The six games I have been playing recently are world of Warcraft, bf3, cod world at war, black ops, MLB 2k12, and command & conquer red alert 3. No noticeable stuttering in wow or red alert 3.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 pm
You might have already tried this but I stopped my anti-virus from running an in memory scan of all files as they are read/written. Only really affects BF3 and BFBC2, and MOH I think.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:25 pm

UchiMata wrote (View Post):

You might have already tried this but I stopped my anti-virus from running an in memory scan of all files as they are read/written. Only really affects BF3 and BFBC2, and MOH I think.

Before I wiped my system I did add BF3 and some other stuff to exclusion lists.  I've also tried both ESET NOD32 and Microsoft Security Essentials.  neither made a difference.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 pm
Tet - What gfx card are you running.  

The only reason I ask is I went from a FirePro v7800 to a Raidion HD7970 and I started seeing something that sounds about what you are saying.  Its not a slow down in the game but a distortion in the game itself, like in the background.  My issue is for sure a gfx issue.  Ive tried a few AMD drivers, with no resolution.  I too am not running an Crossfire just a single card.  Personally I think it has to do with the new gpu AMD is running.  

At this time I havent found a fix, but I have some friends with AMD so Im trying to see if they can narrow down the problem.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:09 pm
I've tested both a 5830 and a 6870.  I've also tested them in different pci-e slots.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm
driver roll back--- when did you update the vid drivers ?   and did this problem come up after the update ? if yes  then i would try a roll back other wise i dont think you need too. but it might be a shot and if you do, remove the driver file your rolling from.

are your running with everything maxed out in the game settings?  also is this a steam game or cd?

im only running 2- 260's in sli and just play w@w, and havent seen it on my rig

bags

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm
Multiple games, and another thought. I wonder if a dying psu could be a culprit.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 pm
Could be, if power is fluctuating a lot then you could very well get waves of stutter like that.

I use "AIDA64" to monitor my voltage, among other things. Install that and bring up the 'Stability Test" window. It has a Voltage tab. If any of the voltages deviate more than 7%, then it's a problem. And when uninstalling drivers, do you restart in Safe Mode and delete the leftover files? Using AMD/ATI, you want to delete any AMD folder left in both Program Files folders, Programdata, and about 15  ati*.* files in your Windows\System32\ folder. All the "Advanced Micro Devices" as company name.

Or just hurry up and get your new PC together Smile

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --

Last edited by Abram on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:47 am
No voltage issues.  Completely removed all traces of AMD drivers from my system and installed the newest beta drive, still happening.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:44 am
Are these slowdown in actualy framerate? LIke, if you run someting lie Fraps, does the framerate regularly dip when you are standing still? Also, what GPU driver version are you using or have tried? 12.6 official jsut came out and 12.7 beta is out, too.

Perhaps fire is the answer.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:06 am
In some games there is a framerate drop.  I can definitely tell in cod and bf3 as i monitor those.  I am now on 12.6.  I just finished playing Command and Conquer 3 for the last couple hours with no problems at all.

Large hammers work too.