Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Been given the "go ahead"...

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:34 am
Alright BK'ers (and regulars that may see this),
I have been given the "green light" to get a new keyboard and mouse for my rig.  I need some thoughts and ideas on what you like or don't like about certain keyboards and/or mice???  I currently have a Saitek Cyborg keyboard and a Saitek GM3200, but both are old and don't function as well as they used to.

So...fire away with your comments/suggestions!!!

Taz

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:52 am
Are you set on a keyboard with fancy-pants buttons? Myself, I've bought a few but never used those keys...  I prefer laptop-style keys, and have been using an Apple Aluminum keyboard for a few years, and I love it. The keys have very little travel, it's super-easy t type on, and it takes up very little space, considering it's full-sized. My second choice would be a mechanical keyboard, though they can be loud, and I've never seen on that has more than the standard 108 keys. If you ARE looking for a keyboard with oodles of functions and buttons, many praise the Logitech "G" series of keyboards. Other than that, I've found that basic $5 keyboards last and perform as well as basic $50 keyboards.

Far as mice go, the selection process is daunting. Do you desire wireless? Do you use the claw- or palm-style of mouse control? Do you desire more than 3 buttons? What do you want to spend? Again, Logitech mice do well. I currently have a Razer Copperhead and I quite like it. comfy, good tracking, and the software is pretty good - it lets you set up up to 5 profiles and saves it to memory on the mouse itself. It has 4 thumb-buttons. Most Razer mice operate this way, as do the R.A.T. mice. I think the R.A.T.7 would be my next mouse.

Pick a style and read reviews, focusing on the cons. get your hands on some, if possible.

Oh and I suggest a good gaming pad. I used to balk at having a non-cheapo mousepad until i used one that cost more then 3 bucks. I use a little SteelSeries pad and it gives great control, and is machine washable.  Or get one of those huge gaming mats, which another member posted about a little while ago.

Of course, little of that matters is your desk ergonomics are poor. That should be the first thing to look at.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:31 am
This is the mouse pad you are looking for.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991001&Tpk=ripper%20xxl

As far as keyboards.  For real gaming I have used a Logitech G15 version 1, the G15 version 2, a Razer Lycosa, and a Logitech G510.  The G15 v1 I gave away after buying the G15 v2.  The Lycosa I no longer game with as the letters on the keys started to rub off, it is now part of a jukebox I built.  I still use the G15 v1 on my other computer.  The G510 is pretty nice.  Lots of color lighting options, keys are great and responsive, you can make macros for the "G" keys.  

And now mice.  I've tried a few different brands and sizes.  However I have always been more comfortable with the larger size of the Logitech G5/G500/G700. I'm currently using the G700.  It's a dual mode wireless/wired mouse.  Plug it in and use it to charge, or for more freedom unplug it and use it cordless.  I do wish the battery life was a bit better but I am super happy with it regardless.  It also has plenty of button options.  If you prefer a slightly smaller mouse a lot of people like the Logitech G9x.  I bought one, but I found it to be too small for my tastes so it is now in use on my other pc.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 am
I live everything Logitech, because for me they perform amazingly and Ive never had to replace them unless there is a fancy upgrade. G510 Keyboard is what I use, 100bucks if you want to spend the money, Equipped with LED screen, and light up keys to your choice of color. I'm very much in love with it.

Mouse wise I use the G500, comes with two different kinds of weights. Very comfortable, only problem I have is the scroll button is very sensitive, I will be playing BF3 and I move my mouse to hard it will change weapon. No one else has reported the problem from the people I've asked.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:10 am
WOW...thanks for the quick responses and some personal reviews, it is ALWAYS good to get those!!! I have read up on some stuff and most point to Logitech and Razr.  I plan on trying to run to Best Buy tomorrow and see what they have that I can personally see and feel.  I will post back on my findings or what I have purchased ( if I do)!!!

Thanks very much for the quick responses...

Taz

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:30 am
Also check out what Roccat has to offer. They're kinda the Razer for Europe, but I've been seeing their stuff in NA stores/websites. I had never heard of them until I started shopping for 5.1 headphones (I did end up buying their "Kave" headphones), and they're stuff gets pretty good reviews. I'm certainly super-happy with my headset. FYI Roccat product reviews are vast on German Amazon and tech sites.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:10 am
Dont get a Razer keyboard, Ive gotten 2 that were already broken IN THE BOX. Razer mice though, very very good. I would say, get a logitech keyboard, and a Razer mouse.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm
Alright, I have gone a totally different route then I was expecting (thought Logitech or Razr).  I went out to Micro Center to see if I could get a touch and feel for what they had out there and I fell in love with the Tt eSports series by Thermaltake!!!

For the keyboard, I picked up the Challenger Ultimate:
http://usa.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?s=15

For the mouse, I picked up the Theron:
http://usa.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?g=feature&s=28

I really liked (and now like) the look and feel of both of those.  If I get the chance, I will see if I can write up a personal review of the devices and maybe any Pros and Cons I have found.

Taz

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:24 pm
I use a G7 mouse and a G15 keyboard. It's my second G7 mouse so you can tell how much I like it and the old one is being used on my other PC. The G15 has been very good, but I don't think I've taken advantage of it's full capabilities. It works and I'm good with that.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 am
Oh,  i didn't know TT made peripherals.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm
@Abram,
I thought the same thing when I saw the keyboard and mouse.  I was like, "when did Thermaltake start making gaming peripherals?!?!"  Then, I was able to look at them in a little greater detail and they looked and felt pretty nice, so I purchased them.  Since I have had them at home, I have fell in love with them.  They are taking a little getting used to (mostly form factor), since I was Saitek before that, but even so, I have to say that they are the best ones that I have ever had.

The Challenger Ultimate keyboard:
http://usa.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?s=15
It has up to fourteen programmable macro keys, five customizable profiles (in a driver download), backlighting in up to 256 variations, hot swap WASD and directional keys (basically taking the black keys off and replacing with red keys), and most interesting of all—a hand fan (which I thought would be useles, but actually works well). To top it all off, it follows with a low key profile, matte finish, braided usb cables for more durability, and rubberized mounts on the bottom of the board—all of these things stood out in the board’s favor!!  I haven't yet played with the drivers for the keyboards profiles (up to 5), but have at least looked into it and what it can do.  I have never really used the macro setups, but would look for some suggestions and see what it has to offer.

The Theron mouse:
http://usa.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?g=feature&s=28
First off, I found out that "Theron" is Greek for "Hunter", which seems to make this a perfect mouse for the shooter's that I play!!! Here are some of the stats that I found listed on the box:

•Pro Grade Gaming Laser Sensor 5600 DPI Engine.
•100 – 5600 DPI Adjustable: Fully Functional on Most Surfaces.
•1.8 meters Braided USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connector.
•40 Fully Customizable Macro Keys for RTS/FPS Game Genres.
•Customizable Graphical UI for Macro Keys, Advanced Performance, and Lighting-Effect Options.
•Industrial Grade Rubber-Coating Finish for better Hand Grip.
•Polling rate switch button (125/500/1000 Hz cycle), and Function-Lock Button provided to disable side button functions.
•On-Board 128kb Memory Storage for 40 Macro Keys within 5 Game Profiles.
•Weight-In Design for Perfect Handling Mouse Movement

I really like the higher DPI and, depending upon the game, the ability to change it "on the fly".  I also like the feel of the mouse.  The rubberized coating hit me right away, as well as the concave nature of the left and right mouse buttons and the area where the thumb fits on the side.  All in all, a great fit with my hand.  Another nice feature, which I will definitely try and use at some point, is the mouse as 128kb of on-board memory for profile storage (drivers included).  This allows for quick and easy portability of the gaming mouse with your profiles to be brought right along.  Not sure, if/when I will use this, but I will try and find the opportunity.  What I have liked the most, is the in-game smoothness that the mouse brings, from switching between sniping, semi-auto's, and machine guns, to just aiming in general.  I have also found that the mouse button pressure needed is minimal, allowing for better "reaction" shooting.

So, I would feel very confident in recommending either of these two devices for your gaming needs.

Taz