Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

im looking to buy some new headphones

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:54 am
So want to buy some nice 7.1 headphones but there are so many to pick from does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:15 am
I recently went through the same ordeal, and found that 90% of "Surround" headphones only have 2 speakers total, and the surround is simulated.  After much research for my <$150 budget, it came down to the Roccat Kave's, and the Tritton PC510's, adn the Tritton AX Pro's The AX Pro's have a digital connection. Coaxial, I think.

The Kave's and PC590's only use analogue(4x 3.5mm. 1 mic, 1 for fronts, 1 for rears, 1 for sub and centre). I went with the Kave headset and am supremely happy with them. Roccat is kinda the Razer or Europe - few reviews on North American websites, but TONS on European sites. They localisation si fantastic and the mic is clear, flexible, and removable. I picked mine up for $90 CAD. They also require no software or drivers.  They require only a USB port for their power. All models use over-the-ear cups adn ahve good isolation

Razer has a true 5.1 (Or was it 7.1?) set that has separate speakers for each channel, but they are pricey, reviews leave somethign to be desired.

What do you have for an audio device? Using a dedicated sounds card makes a big difference.

FYI apparently those 'simulated surround' headset still soudn good, but there's no comparison to actual, physically separate speakers.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 am
For a sound card i am using the integrated 7.1 dolby digital optic port on my gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-GIGABYTE-_-13128514

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 am
im looking at maybe getting these but im going to look aroud a bit more and see what i can find before i make up my mind
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71

Is this the ROCCAT headset you were talking about abram?
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave-5-1/

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 am
Nope, i have these headphones:   http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave-5-1/

I have the same Realtek ALC889 audio on my motherboard as you do, and even though it's almost the top-of-the-line audio for Realtek onboard, even my old, mid-range Xtremegamer PCI card sounds much better.  Considering the price difference between the Kaves (or the Trittons) and the Razer set, I think you'd be better off with a dedicated sound card + the Kaves. Many decent audio cards can be found for a fair price. I'm satisfied with my $80 Xtremegamer, but if you don't like X-fi, ASUS Xonar and Azuntech make nice cards. If you don't use your PC for movies, then you don't really need DD or DTS support, which also keep the price down. Dedicated cards also have better software. ( as in, more configuration)

I read some reviews on those Razers (both "professional" and users reviews) and they seem to come up short. But they are very new, and the first .1 headset to come about, so it's to be expected. Though jsut with home theatre audio setups, a good 5.1 systems still sounds as good as a 7.1. Even in my apartment, I tried both on my HT setup, and stayed with 5.1. I'm sure my neightbours love me.

I'm not trying ti pile more onto your plate, here. But like I said, i went through much the same process a few months ago.

PC - I also have a mid-range set of 5.1 PC speakers and I haven't touched them since getting my Kaves.

PPS - I feel I should point out my one beef with the kaves: instead of a single headband pad, it has three smaller ones. After a while i could feel the centre one pressing on my skull, but gluing 1.5mm pads on the other two pads fixed that. Then again, I also have a wide head. It was a common complaint in the reviews I read on the German Amazon site. Those Kaves also fold up very nicely, in case you want to take them on the road.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:12 am
i have to say the kave's look like a good buy for the price and it has good reviews i might just give those a try if i don't find something better for the same price

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:02 am
Well like I said,  my decision came down to the Kaves or the Tritton 510's.  I even managed to find direct comparisons. Overall, it seemd that the Kaves had better overall sound quality and mic, while the Trittons had better bas and comfort. I was able to remedy the comfort part, and was able to make up for the slightly weaker bass with some tweak of my X-fi software. And having a flexible mic is handy. just the other day i heard of a Bk member telling that he dropped his headset and the mic snapped...

but by all means, do your own research.  You'll find lots of info on Roccat products on German websites. You'll find my reviews as "Abram" on newegg and NCIX.

tigerdirect has them for $109. Geez, i guess I got a pretty good price, at 90...

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm
Hey Specter,
                     I have the Tritton AX Pro...I plug them directly into the sound card outputs....WOW.

http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/axpro.asp

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:56 pm
If you are looking to buy one pair and be done or do you want to buy a bunch till you find the ones you like???? I am a headset freak when it comes to music and gaming for PC. Take my advise on this one and save some money in the long run. I've had the ones Abram has and they fall well short of the Tritton Ax51. I've owned about 9 different sets now and had to find out the hard way looking for the best directional, wieght, clarity, comfort and bass sounds. So here it is, Astro A40 with the 5.8 mix amp!! and for wireless Soundblaster 3D Tactics. Now I just sold my Astros on ebay to buy the new wireless astro a50's which are 300.00. Any three of these are a one buy done deal. Oh and by the way the astro's walk all over any true 5.1 by far. Dont be afraid to buy used on ebay!!

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm
I have been looking at these Arctic Sound TRUE 5.1

because of the true 5.1 sound, not simulates.

4 speakers in each earpiece. And the price is low.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 pm
I got a pair of Psyko carbons that im selling, got for my b-day but i like my beats audio better cause of the massive bass lol.  The surround is awesome check em out at http://www.psykoaudio.com/GetPsyko/PsykoCarbon#axzz29ylm0pFw

im selling for 60.00

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 pm
I keep looking for headsets, but I have the hardest time finding headsets that fit my head.  I have a melon of a head.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:03 am

Silent_Wolf wrote (View Post):

I keep looking for headsets, but I have the hardest time finding headsets that fit my head.  I have a melon of a head.

Couldn't you use a set of speakers???   LOL     Buddy??!!

TwoFour

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:19 pm

TwoFour wrote (View Post):

Silent_Wolf wrote (View Post):

Couldn't you use a set of speakers???   LOL     Buddy??!!

TwoFour

Now that would just look stupid!! speakers hanging off of ya head!!!!!  Very Happy

You cannot talk yourself out of trouble you walked right into![color=green][/color]
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm
Sadly I do have a 5.1 setup at home.  But Im sure we can all agree.  Sometimes the wife doesnt want to hear whats going on.  Right now I just used a pair of Sony earbuds.  They seems to work and I didnt pay hundreds of dollars for them.