Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

Car Trouble

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 pm
Ya so I get a new 2012 altima S and 6 weeks later it snows. While diving to work i hit a something on the road i didn't see and now have to replace the front bumper and Glass part of the head light. What I would like to know is can I do this my self and save about $500-$600 or do i have to take it in? If i can do it myself dose anyone know where i can find the info needed to replace it?

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 pm
Changing the front bumper cover and headlight housing is easy, the only this is that you would have to get the bumper cover painted. If you google Altima S forums, you will find mountains of info about your car. Look over the different forums and find one you like and join, (kind of like here) . I will warn you though, these forums cam become a little addicting, you will find all kinds of mods you can do to your car.
    Have you already checked prices on parts vs having a shop do it for you? I'm sure you don't want to just spray bomb the bumper on a brand new car. That's where most of you labor cost is going to come from. Those bumpers come off very easily, they use those plastic pop-its to hold it on. Mine comes off in about 20 min.
    Hope this helps.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:09 pm
actually i always thought the bumper it self was the most expensive part. You wouldn't happen to know a particular web sight you could recommend?

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm
Many places to buy online. KM's right though. Getting it painted correctly is the tricky part. Not that big a deal if you have access to a shop with a compressor and a spray gun. I could help you if you were closer . Body Shop Supplies is what I sell. If you do decide to undertake this , and have access to a shop/ equipment, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Aliceter wrote (View Post):

actually i always thought the bumper it self was the most expensive part. You wouldn't happen to know a particular web sight you could recommend?

Parts wise, the cover is the most expensive part, labor wise the painting cost more. You can get the parts from a dealer. If get on to some forums, sometimes a guy might have a bumper cover for sale if he put on a custom body kit or something. Also, check with the dealer, they may be able to order you a cover already painted.