Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Can you just swap out Motherboard, CPU & Memory?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm
Hey guys,

I just ordered a new Motherboard, CPU and Memory.  I have never done anything like this before, what are some of the potholes I need to be aware of.  Hardware arrives on Tuesday.

This is what I currently have:

Motherboard:  Asus IPIBL-LB micro ATX
CPU:  Intel Core2Quad Q6700@2.66 Ghz
Memory:  6 GB RAM DDR2

What I ordered:

Motherboard:  Asus P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:  Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 Ghz 4 Core LGA 1155
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Thanks for any help before it arrives on Tuesday!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 pm
I would mount the cpu, fan and memory to the motherboard before putting the motherboard in the case.   Then I would follow the instructions on what power supply cables plug in where on the motherboard.  Next install the video card inside the case, might be a good time to clean it before installing it.  The next step will be to power it on and install the OS.  When this is done I always make sure all devices have the latest drivers.  When you have finished that you can reinstall games.  Not sure if I have forgotten anything here, but you get the idea.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 pm
I BUILT MY LAST PUTER LAST YER...SUPRISES I GOT WAS CASE NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR NEW MG...OLD POWER SUPPLY LEADS NOT LONG ENOUGH.

Sorry for caps...no going to re-type it

looks like MB and cpu are correct...going from a micro atx to an atx, diferent size boards?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm
Skull:  I can't just hookup my current HD with the OS on it to the new MB?  I am not sure I even have the discs for it...

Pfrman:  I purchased a larger gaming case about two years ago; it was about twice the size of the original case, so I think I am good there.

Thanks guys!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 pm
@Pastor - You are basically installing new "guts", so the motherboard doesn't recognize what is on the current hard drive. So, that needs to be re-formated, essentially wiping it clean.  From the there the OS will need to be re-installed. If you do not have or know where the disks are, then I would wait before starting this operation and you will have to purchase a new OS (I would go with XP or 7, before going with Cool. Also, any data that you have on your current hard driver, you will want to back up to an external hard drive (i.e. personal docs, music, pics, etc...), since once you reformat the hard drive, it will be empty and everything else gone.

Taz

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:19 pm
Taz:  Thanks so much for THAT info.  Incredibly helpful to know before Tuesday!  What if I bought a second HD and put the new operating system on that and then kept all my applications and games on the original HD so there were be two HDs in the machine?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:23 pm
Hi Pastor

Call me we can call talk
I'll PM you with Phone #.

I'm a Sr PC tech for Summit Racing's Desktop Support.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 pm
Paster Dan
I just did this last week.
I went from pretty much the same as what you had to a Amd FX 8120 did a straight copy of the hard drive
to the new drive and had no problems

Old EVGA 750i board
Intel Q6700

New Gygabyte 990fxa ud3

Windows 7

Used Seagate Disc Wizard to do the transfer its free on there site.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Tazman wrote (View Post):

@Pastor - You are basically installing new "guts", so the motherboard doesn't recognize what is on the current hard drive. So, that needs to be re-formated, essentially wiping it clean.  From the there the OS will need to be re-installed. If you do not have or know where the disks are, then I would wait before starting this operation and you will have to purchase a new OS (I would go with XP or 7, before going with Cool. Also, any data that you have on your current hard driver, you will want to back up to an external hard drive (i.e. personal docs, music, pics, etc...), since once you reformat the hard drive, it will be empty and everything else gone.

Taz

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether you backed up your data, like documents, pictures, etc.  This should be done before you get started.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:50 pm
Pastor Dan, Down load Keyfinder  (it's free). Run it on your old system, it will give you all serial numbers for any programs (windows, norton, etc.) you have on your computer. Print them off so will have them just in case you need them.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:37 am
Be sure to discharge yourself of any static charge before touching your components. just tap something grounded. Most times, you can get away with swapping out those parts without a format, but new parts are a great excuse to format, and like the other person said, give your case a good cleaning.

Those CPUs are great - the overclock like mad, and very easily.

Be sure to take  a bit of time to backup anything you want to keep. I format every 8-12 months and almost always forget something.

My Docs folder, bookmarks, savegames, serials, emails (if you use a local client) and address book, mods,. I often take a screenshot of my  Add/Remove list while I'm at it. I used to back up programs, too, but by the time you get around to reinstalling them, there's usually a newer version out.

I also make sure to read much of the motherboard manual.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 am
Thanks, my friends...all these posts are very helpful...Arghhh, I'll give you a call...