Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

12-21-12 on-line cease fire day

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lVWxnRI3xuY[/youtube]

I am still trying to wrap my head around the events that occurred this past Friday, I don't know what else I can do except participate in this day of cease fire. I hope you will join me and so many other gamers. There is plenty of time to play, there are 20 children who will not be able to. I apologize to anyone that I upset or offend.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 pm
Sorry, I won't join you. I think that it's great to take a moment and recognize the victim's families, but not doing something you do regularly won't help in my eyes. I have been trying to figure out why this situation has been so politicized. I am dumbstruck as to how someone can murder anyone, but especially his parents then innocent young children. It's mind boggling how someone could be so crazy. However, the spin being put on this is disgusting. Guns aren't the problem, the problem is psychos with guns. But as we saw in China on the same day, a psycho with a knife is still going to hurt people.  The problem we need to solve is keeping people safe from psychos. When are we going to stop rehabilitating and start simply incarcerating. Honestly though, I commend you for feeling convicted about something and doing something about it. I am personally questioning not details about what happened, but what this event means for our future. There are radical liberals talking about confiscating our firearms.   I pray for those families, I don't have kids, but I can't imagine what they're dealing with.  It's one thing when it's a natural disaster, but when it's a psycho that takes their lives...

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 pm
Respect both of you. With that being said,Wat, your first sentence was all that was needed. We all have different opinions and we should leave it at that.If a fellow gamer needs to do this or feels the need to than it should be left at that. A man once told me "I might not agree with what you say,but I'll defend your right to say it." There is no right or wrong. Semper. Cool

Locate close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver......
7th Engineers "C" CO.1stFSSG Camp Pendleton..ONCE..ALWAYS 86-92
Alpha Company 2nd BN 151st INF ARNG Indiana 11-15
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm
Oh yeah. I said as much. I just stated my reason for not doing the same.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:27 am
I see no correlation between gaming, and actual violence.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm
I heard a newstory this morning where someone was trying to make a correlation between violence (in general) and gaming.  Seems someone is always trying to do that.  Myself, I will play because it is a game and I enjoy it.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Abram wrote (View Post):

I see no correlation between gaming, and actual violence.

IMO there is none.  They are just using it as an excuse why people do these things. The sick thing is if you look back on history before there where even computer games like Call of duty (just to name one). There where just as many sick twisted people out there.

That being said there are some people that cant leave gaming content in the game. The down side from this is games get the blame for it.

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be evil.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:54 pm
I have to agree with the 'blame game'......
its always too easy to BLAME a game or a film for a persons actions but if they have a mental illness then they obviously shouldnt be allowed near anything that could trigger this kind of action in real life and to blame a game or film is just stupid because we watch or play for recreational purposes NOT to get ideas on hurting our fellow man.......
rant over!

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 pm
NOONE takes any RESPONSIBILITY any more.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 pm
I just want everyone to understand that I am a HUGE proponent for gun ownership, and I do not believe that there is any connection to video games and violent behavior.  I just thought this would be something we could do to honor the victims. I'm sorry I posted this, I didn't want to spark a political discussion.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 am
Ah, my bad, i have a hard time holding my tongue. Do what you feel is right man.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:32 am
I am still curious what the connection is between the Colorado shooter's father and what the Connecticut shooter's father is.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am
its all good, I personally will be observing a day of peace as I dont own a weapon and online is my only arsenal of guns hence my reasoning.....
im sure we all remember in our own special way and this story shall live in our hearts forever!

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 pm
While we have a general rule to avoid politics, the following is NOT a political or ideological point, but to bring attention to a problem that is NOT being addressed.

While I believe all the attention has been steered towards guns, there is an important issue that we must all think about, the mental illness.

In the 1980s the Federal and State governments cut almost all the money that was used to run both federal and state run mental facilities. By the 1990s over 95% of state and federal run mental institutions closed, due to lack of funding. Many of these people were a danger to themselves or others. Where are they now and where do the current people with mental issues go?

This mass shootings and stabbings usually have one thing in common, the person that committed the horrible crime has serious mental issues. In many cases the parents can afford private mental facilities (because state and federal ones are closed) and they do try to take care of them at home or they become homeless.

So why no attention to the mental illness in this country? My opinion is simple, they don't vote, they don't have a union, they don't lobby, they don't contribute to campaigns, they are the forgotten and the silent problem in this nation. Politicians currency is votes and campaign contributions, there is no voice, money, or voting power among the mentally ill - they are the forgotten.

The discussion about how we as a society choose to deal with the mentally ill is just as important as any discussion about gun control, yet the media and politicans are laser focused on guns.

In China only a couple of days before the shooting, a Chinese man stood in front of an elementary school with a knife and stabbed 22 children (no gun  - a knife), clearly mentally ill.
In Russia last year a man entered a school with a bat and hit over 18 children killing 3 (no gun - a bat), clearly mentally ill.

Are we to ban knifes, bats, and anything that could be a weapon OR do we start realizing that we DO have a problem and a societal responsibility to not only protect our children but deal with the mentally ill in our nation?

This is just something we need to think about and in no way do I wish to detract from the horrible crime that was committed, my thoughts are with those families who lost their love ones.

Here are two interesting articles worth reading:

Chinese Man Stabs 22 kids

Gun Control and unlikely outcome

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 pm
Great post Silexx, I agree with you completely.