MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Sci-Fi tactical/strategic game - FREE!

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:19 am
I thought I would share some fun.

Back in the 1990s I use to play a great strategy game called VGA Planets. In fact it was one of the first Play-By-Email-Games (PBEM) and one of the most popular.

The theme of the game is what if ALL the greatest Sci-Fi races had to fight each other.  Borg vs. the Empire, Klingons vs. the Cylons, etc. 11 of the greatest Star Wars, Star Trek, Battle Star races duking it out.
Each race is unique, some have cloaking while others have huge carrier based ships. You could form alliances, send intel, spy, lay mines, build star bases, etc.

The game mechanics and balance has been tested for years and remains UNCHANGED for decades. Some players have become experts in their races, developed strategies and tactics to dominate other races. It is clearly a intergalactic chess game that has stood the test of time.

It has recently been developed and ported onto the web (you can play it anywhere and practically on anything) and it is growing very quickly as both old and new players join in games. Players are scrambling for those old strategy archives that had been posted throughout the internet back in the 1990s. Even a new Planets Mag is now online posting strategies. There is even a new serious of championship games.

Already over 20,000 players in over 400 current wars, and new wars added each week. There is even a championship tournament.

Anyway, yours truly use to play back in the day and I am back at it again. You can play the game for FREE (second best 4 letter F-word) and if you want to upgrade to premium you can do so at any time, but is NOT necessary.

If you like turn-based highly tactical and strategic game play in out-space, well this is the best game I can think of.

Please note, some epic games can take up to 6 months or longer to play at 2 turns a week. I find it relaxing, because I can do a little bit at a time on each turn, before it must be submitted. This is not about fast-pace clicking or fancy graphics; it is literally a Sci-Fi tactical/strategic game like Risk or Axis and Allies in a PBEM format.  

You guys/gals are all very smart and intelligent, while we all love our FPS games, this is just one of those more relaxing THINKING games that can be played a little at a time.

Here is the website: Planets Nu / VGA Planets
Here is my profile:My Profile - ProHobo

I usually play the Fascist (aka Klingons) or Lizards (aka  Gorn/Gem’Hadar). Note they can’t use the real names for licensing reasons.

If you join, let me know. I am happy to help out and if we are in the same game ally with you. I am curious to know what you think.