Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Custom Renders - Tutorial #2

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 pm
Most of my SIGs lately, I have been making from custom renders that are made from everyday photos found on the internet.  Yes this takes a lot more time, but then the SIGs are unique and don't have the same generic renders that everyone else is using in other Groups/Clans on the web.  

Here is another tutorial on how this is done, for those that are interested in getting involved with custom graphics, and also for those that just want to dabble!

1) Find a cool picture that you would like to use:

2) Layer image from the background, set background to transparent, and then start a crude/rough erasing of everything around image that you want as your render:

3) Use a smaller erasing tool and start refining the erasure of extraneous material getting closer to the main image as the tool will allow:

4) Zoom in as much as you need to do a detail erasure using the smallest erasing tool...get right down to the very edge of pixels of the main image:

5) Create a "Green" Layer to clean up image and get rid of any dark material you might have missed on the transparent background.  Then DEFRINGE the entire image by 1 pixel:

6) Sharpen image:

7) Smooth out edges and do some minor tweaking of image to get it not to look jagged in any spots:

8) Make a black layer under the image to bring out any bright colored areas that need erased, darkened, or blended down:

9) Finished Render - ready to use in a SIG or other graphic design:

Hopefully you enjoyed this brief tutorial, and might find it useful!

CHEERS!!!
Kula

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:21 pm
Cool!

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Thanks Kula

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm
Render Test - Found the Marine within a squad and followed Kula's directions.

Render before:

Last edited by SixFour on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 pm
This is where life is a little different from photoshop to GIMP.

Ive tried finding an easy way in Photoshop to do this and I havent been able too.  Im sure I can if I spent more time on it, but why would I do that, when its so easy in GIMP.

This part both program are simular.
GIMP has a Path Tool, in Photoshop if you right click on the Lasso and click on Polygon Lasso Tool, this will allow you to click on edges and lines to select and area to erase.  This is pretty much the same things as using the erase tool, but to me seems more simple.

Now this is where I see the difference is:
In GIMP I can convert the entire image to Alpha Chanel, so once I have the area selected that, I can delete the selected area without having a filler.  Additionally, with GIMP I have options of feathering the selected area, so I can clean up the edges as needed.

Now I know the two of you have worked with Photoshop more than I have, so maybe the imformation I have supplied will work with something you already know.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 pm
Thanks Silent  
I have tried both ways within photoshop. But using the green and black screen was a first for me and made a world of difference

Is gimp easy to use? Never tried it.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:06 am
That's the question for the ages and the great debate between all the graphics team members.

My opinion:
Photoshop is just that, a great program for updating photos. Within those effects, you have the ability to work with graphics.

GIMP, in my opinion was more designed for doing graphics and graphic render.

Both have their pros and cons. On small down fall for GIMP, if your like me, the keyboard commands don't follow traditional MS layouts. But once your used to using it, it's a breeze.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 am
You guys are all awesome.