Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Out of commission...

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:58 am
I came home today, after my wife told me my password wasn't logging her in so she could scan some pictures. ONLY to find out that I am getting a Disk Boot error after the post screen. I am pretty sure that this means my HDD has failed. I can't find any system disks, OS disks, or any other disks that could be helpful. I am also not sure when I would be able to get a new hard drive and without any disks, a new HDD will do me no good.

So...I am out of commission and not sure when I will be back online...UGH!!!

Taz

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 am
Sorry to hear about that. I have a couple extra drives somewhere. They would definitely be slower and less space on them. But I could look for u if u want.

]
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:50 am
Definitely a HDD failure. Replaced the IDE cable and tried a different power connector and still receiving Disk Boot Failure message.

Groundtrooper....I appreciate the offer...but without any system or OS disks...a hard drive would do me no good at this time. I will keep you posted if I am in need of one of your drives.

Taz

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 am
Although it's most likely to be a dead drive,  it could also be  a corrupted Master Boot Record (MBR).   There are free programs that you can run off a disc out flash drive to fix this.  It the drive correctly detected in your BIOS?

IDE?  Wow.

Far as an OS disc goes,  if you have the serial,  you can download the OS from Microsoft.  If not,  i can send you  a link to a site that sells legitimate Windows keys for cheap. I've  used them three times without issue.

Let this be a lesson : always have another hard drive. I think you should take Ground up on his offer. I hope you had backups of your precious  files.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:13 am
Hopefully you get back online quickly!

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:16 am
Sorry to hear that Taz. I am guessing if you can't find your disks you don't have your key code either, because if you did you could burn a disc at a friends house or even at the library and still use your key code. But most people keep their keys with the discs.

I think I have some keys for xp you could have but I'm not sure how well xp works these days, I know they don't update it anymore. I might have a win 7 key, not sure if I gave it to someone or not, I think I did. I will talk to a couple of fellas and see if I can scrounge something up for you bro.

You could also use Lennox Ubuntu until you get a windows key. Ubuntu is free and with the right plug-ins and software it will do everything windows does, just a little more work involved, like researching for the plug-ins you need to get games to work properly. I got a buddy who is a Lennox freak and will most likely tell me exactly what plug-ins to use and where to get them.

I know I don't have any HDD's to spare right now.

Oh I just remembered I have a laptop that went kaput last year, I think it has win 7 on it and I'm not going to repair it( it's a parts piece now, lol) I will get it out of the basement tomorrow and check it for sure. If it is win 7 you can have the key code off it, its a dell so you will have to download a dell version of win 7 for it to work properly but that's not hard at all. I will get back with you tomorrow Taz.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:58 am
Not recognized in the Bios.  "IDE? Wow"...assume that's isn't good??  Found serial key...put the sticker on the side of the case!!! So...I assume just get a hard drive and download a copy of Win 7 Pro 64-bit on a CD and install it that way?? As for backups...I do have stuff...but would there be a way to "slave" the old HDD or if it's unrecognized does that mean it's fried and a no go on that and anything I do have is gone??

Taz

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:05 am
I lied...it was a SATA cable I replaced...lol!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:02 am
Once you get another drive up and running,  you can use programs to recover since day,  if enough chunks are lect,  and assuming the drive is accessible long enough to copy any over...  I've used GetDataBack,  with varying success.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm
I will certainly give all of this a try.  As for installing the OS on a new HDD, is that just a matter of downloading my version from Microsoft and burning it to a CD??

Taz

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:34 pm
Yes, you will be downloading a ISO image then simply burn that to a disk.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:28 pm
Thanks guys!!!  I have some recovery programs on a USB.  I will try those first and see if I can recover the MBR.  If I can't do that, I will recover some files that I deem necessary since my last backup, purchase a hard drive, and install the OS.  Still not sure when I will be back up and running, as my schedule with the kids is hectic to say the least.  So, hopefully a week at the most, but crossing my fingers I can get to it sooner!!!

Taz

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:02 pm
I don't use discs anymore for Windows.  I install everything from a flash drive.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:43 pm
I use Hiren's Boot CD to fix and check HDD's There are plenty of useful programs on it..

This is all Free if you have a legit serial:

Download the appropriate Windows 7 .ISO file which includes Service Pack 1
(Note: must match what your product key version is for)

Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

Windows 7 Professional 32Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59183.iso
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59463.iso
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

I also just started to use the UDB Flash Drive to install Windows. and if it helps, I also go to Ninite to download and install all the extras we basically use on a day to day basis. It don't install any adds or toolbars.....It makes for installation of these extra programs easy...pick what you want and download the installer, then walk away, it does it all for you.....never had any issues with it. And it will keep these programs up to date for you if you choose....EASY PEASY.....

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:22 am
Hope you get it all sorted out.  I don't understand nuttn' you guys are saying.  Laughing