Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Serious problem

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:52 am
I cleaned out my computer and when I plugged everything back up and started the computer I get nothing. It's running, the video card is running but none of my peripherals are powered up, just a black screen. Connections are good triple checked them. It's like none of the major components are working. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Do or do not there is no try!"
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:12 am
Any lights  on your motherboard  coming on ? Are you getting any beeps? (this assumes your board has  one of those tiny speakers)

It's possible that one of the atx 12v connector pins is blocked by a clump of dust.  This has happened  to me a couple times,  after a cleaning teardown.

I hate to say it,  but it could also be that your motherboard is dead.  If it was your cpu,  you'd be getting further than a blank screen...

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --

Last edited by Abram on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:15 am
Yes there are CPU lights on the board that tell me at what power level they it's working. They are coming on.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 am
Think I'm gonna take everything out and reconnect it all over just in case your suggestion is right.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:26 am
Though unlikely since your gpu is coming on,  it could be a simple static charge built up on the board .  Unplug from the wall and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Hopefully  you read this before you take her apart again.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 am
Well didn't read it before I took it apart but still didn't work. Did what you suggested. That didn't work either. What puzzles me is none of the other stuff is powering up. My mouse should light up and my headset receiver should come on too. They are not.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 am
Here is nor odd thing that happened, when I took the CPU fan off to clean it, it pulled the processor out too. The thermal paste had stuck to it and I had to pull the processor carefully loose from the fan. That's the only problem I had when I cleaned it.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:48 am

WolfFang wrote (View Post):

Here is nor odd thing that happened, when I took the CPU fan off to clean it, it pulled the processor out too. The thermal paste had stuck to it and I had to pull the processor carefully loose from the fan. That's the only problem I had when I cleaned it.

Until I read this, I was going to say that it sounds like it could be a dead motherboard. If you look at your motherboard closely you may find bulged, burnt or blown capacitors, etc. But this also sounds like it could be a bad power supply unit. Turn it on and smell the exhaust coming from the fan - if its bad you might notice a hot/burning electrical smell.

But now that you say the CPU came out when you pulled the fan, I'm wondering if you didn't damage the CPU socket somehow. They shouldn't just "come out" like that. There's usually a little latch mechanism or somesuch that keeps it locked down.

Did you repaste the CPU/heatsink before putting it back in?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 am
Didn't damage the mechanism, it bent some of the pins. So I now have a new mob and processor ordered. I can afford it but really needed to put the money on other things but now I have an excuse to upgrade. But thank both of you for the suggestions.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:44 am
Ahh, that would be the problem! Sorry for your troubles. Hopefully you're up and running again soon though!

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:30 pm
It's possible to bend the pins back. This exact thing happened  to a friend and he managed to deftly manipe the pins back into position  by putting tape around a toothpick,  trimming the tip,  and used a knife to carve a  tiny notch in the end.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:06 am
I tried for about 2 or 3 hours last night, they were just too messed up. A couple even broke off in the attempt. I have the other ones on the way. So I'll just do that. To top it off I had some bad back spasms last night that set me back. Just seems I've been getting hit with the heavy end of the hammer these last few months, so this will at least give me something to look forward to: a better mob and processor.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:25 am
Oh my.  Well be sure to also order some of your own thermal paste.  The high quality stuff never reaaly dries.

Having hardware Kick the bucket is always lame,  but new hardware eases the pain.

What board do you have? I may be interested in purchasing it  from you.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:06 pm
I've had the same thing happen before. Try using a credit card and pull it between the rows of pins in all directions to straighten them . Make sure that you did not break one of
them off . Also be sure not to use the side of the credit card that has the magnetic strip on it .

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:31 pm

WolfFang wrote (View Post):

I tried for about 2 or 3 hours last night, they were just too messed up. A couple even broke off in the attempt. I have the other ones on the way. So I'll just do that. To top it off I had some bad back spasms last night that set me back. Just seems I've been getting hit with the heavy end of the hammer these last few months, so this will at least give me something to look forward to: a better mob and processor.

I have used flattened chopsticks many times to work on pins and electronics, you can also run one end in the pencil sharpener that works, also great for tracing paper on patterns.

You Can Hear it Live, on BK RADIO!
TimberbeastWaco   Mark/Waco