Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post

Random Freeze up

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 am
I will get on ts and talk about it more with you guys right now I am at work and I am working nights

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:14 pm
Smile can you tell us more about your computer? How much RAM does it have? Is it dual core or quad core? Intel or AMD? What cpu do you have ? What is the wattage of your power supply? Do you use file cleaners and registry cleaners? Do you use spy-ware, ad-ware, mal-ware cleaners? Do you defragment daily or weekly? Do you do a msconfig and shut down processes at startup that need not be running?
Do you reapply silver compound on the cpu where the heat sink goes? Do you reinstall windows once or twice a year as needed? These and many more items are additional items to think about in addition to the heat problems. Reapplying silver compound could help the cpu from getting so hot also.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:59 am

wesley wrote (View Post):

Smile can you tell us more about your computer? How much RAM does it have? Is it dual core or quad core? Intel or AMD? What cpu do you have ? What is the wattage of your power supply? Do you use file cleaners and registry cleaners? Do you use spy-ware, ad-ware, mal-ware cleaners? Do you defragment daily or weekly? Do you do a msconfig and shut down processes at startup that need not be running?
Do you reapply silver compound on the cpu where the heat sink goes? Do you reinstall windows once or twice a year as needed? These and many more items are additional items to think about in addition to the heat problems. Reapplying silver compound could help the cpu from getting so hot also.

Its a HP pavillion.  It has 4 gigs ram.  Its a quad core.  I belive its a intel.  I am at work right now so I don't have the model number with me.  It has a 600 watt antec 2.0 power supply on it.  I do not have any file cleaners or registry cleaners on it.  I don't use any spy ware adaware or mal-ware cleaners.  I haven't defrag the computer yet.  I have only had it for a couple of months.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 am
here it what I have plus the gfx card and power supply http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9168205&type=product&id=1218041999474

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 pm
Looks like you have a good rig.  How long have you had your rig?   Random freezes are either software or hardware.  Try cleaning it up.

CCleaner.  Awesome job at removing unwanted files.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Spybot.  Can't say enough about protection.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
If you have an anti virus program installed like Norton or McAfee.  Get rid of it. Uninstall.  My preference is Avast and it is free.  I have seen others here use others.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

All these programs can be run in safe mode and does the same job.

Pull the sides off your computer.  Pull the graphics card.  Use low air pressure to blow the dust away in both the case, the fans and graphics card.  Hold the fans so they don't spin into orbit. LOL

Monitor your temps.
Core Temp.  Shows what your cpu temp is.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Max temp for that processor is 70C.
You should be around 35 to 40 at idle.  Maybe cooler or warmer depending on room temp.
Try this first and see if your CPU temps are getting out of hand.
Monitoring temps for your gpu has already been discussed.

You may just need a cleaning to get back on track.

Memory can be tested by pulling one stick out and see what happens.  If the freezes no longer happen more than likely that is the problem.  If it continues pull the other stick and replace it with the one you pulled and try again.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:22 am
i have only had it a couple of months.  I will try to work on it on the next couple of days when I am off.  This is my last night shift for a little while yea

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm
Seeings how you only had it a couple of months try using the software to clean up the hard drive.  I doubt with the short time you have had it that dust would cause a overheating problem so opening it up may result in a warranty void.  If there is a hardware issue maybe the geek squad will look at it for free.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:08 pm
I had to crack the case to put the power supply and the gfx card so the warranty is null and void

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:26 pm

smile wrote (View Post):

I had to crack the case to put the power supply and the gfx card so the warranty is null and void

Not sure what you mean about the power supply and gfx card.  Maybe the warranty is not voided.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 am
auslogics defrag is a good free program that runs much faster than microsoft's default. it might help. ccleaner is a good program to clean up random temporary internet files and the like. spybot search and destroy and ad-aware are both good programs for taking care of tracking cookies. registy mechanic isn't free and tune-up 2009 isn't free but they have trial versions. It is important to uninstall all unneeded programs. This helps the computer to think faster. there are many good prgrams, many that are free, that could help with freeezes. Most likely the main problems is with heat since you say it is 67 degrees and up. Add a couple of nice fans and even an external fan blowing on your pc can help the heat problem.