Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

kicked for bad language?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:24 pm
Good morning.

I just wanted to ask for someone to explain to me why I was kicked from one of the servers this morning, around 7 PST.

Maybe I joined the server at the wrong time? Maybe prior to my logging in offenses by other players had the Admin's putting down the boot heel?

I'm fine with going elsewhere during the 90 minute “kick”, I just wanted to know where my warnings were.  The console is constantly scrolling, so seeing the same set of rules pop up doesn’t indicate who it’s aimed towards.  Especially when many of the admin crew have hot key’s configured and name a player prior to handing out the warning.
The admin crew has allot on their hands and I appreciate that.

I'm not sure if your Admin crew reviews the game logs on a weekly basis, the old servers I admin'ed on did.

I was TK'ed and said, "what the hell"  I received a warning for the word Hell.  I wasn't aware that this would be considered abusive.  I saw a warning come up and after one question apologized for using the "h" word.

Awhile later a player named SNAFU was asked to change his name by the BK members.

He didn't understand why so I said his name was a cuss word.  A debate ensued amongst a few players if the "F" meant fouled or F**K'ed up.  When I was in the Army, it meant the latter.  So I used F.I.G.M.O as an example for how else the F word is used.  I'm guessing someone on Team Speak has been in the military and knows that term.

Anyways, I know admins have alot to do, in the servers, on TS, and in the forums and this is not really worth the time.

It would help if the standards were somehow uniform across the board with the crew.  I enjoy playing on your servers and would like to continue, however it appears during game play the bar is raised and lowered depending on the Admin.  Consistency is key to a stable environment. And up until then I thought I knew where that limit was.  For the most part the only time I say anything is when I’ve been Tk’ed without an apology or I am apologizing for killing my own crew.

And it doesn’t help that I’ve had a very strong cup of Peet’s Coffee this morning.

Cheers!

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:00 pm
Hi there, its nice to hear from people that tell us how they see things going and I am happy to talk to you about this matter.
As you have explained you were talking to another player regarding what is regarded as swearing or offensive and from time to time our admins prefer not to allow too much debate to carry on for too long so I am guessing you were kicked for writing abbreviations and they believed it to be offensive towards other players even though you were explaining the terms and not using them.
Admins are told to use their descrection with these situations and I think if you were to look at this as if you were just joining our server, to see a player write an abbreviation as you did, they could be put off by it and leave so the admin decided to kick you to show yourself and others that this kind of language/debate was not tolerable. As for getting warned before the kick, maybe you were busy typing and debating the matter you could have missed a final warning.

I stand by our admin rules and im sorry if you feel you may have got away with your debate had another admin been present (although most would have kicked you as I have already seen happen this way before). As you have stated it was only a kick so you have learnt how this type of situation is dealt with (we are constantly updating our admins on whats acceptable) and so I hope you can now enjoy your game even more, safe in the knowledge that BK admins are here to enforce the rules and ensure everyone enjoys the game!!!!

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm
and Peets coffee is wonderful  Smile

There are many ways to die. Be glad it wasn't slower.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

As with most things in life, "will this matter in 5 years?"  Well it's an easy one to answer.

You're correct the message screen does scroll quickly, and I may have missed it.

And it is important to stand by your admin crew since it is a volunteer post and like the garbage men, no one notices them until something goes wrong.

The coffee I made was a tad strong as I am not noticing the screen shaking a bit....

In the long run I'm more concerned about being marked as a problem player.  Being an on and off again game admin since MOH I know that names get remembered all too quickly by some crews and this is not what I desire.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be a sitting duck for you sooner or later.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:16 pm
You have to stay away from those discussions. I use Hades in place of hell. Apologising is not mandatory for TK's by non BK members. And in my view it happens so often it wastes my time to even address a non apology. Althougth I do practise liberal verbiage of a non child friendly atmosphere in the comfort of my den. See be creative!

Acronyms are the same as saying the word. The servers are held to a very high standard as reqards swearing and names that can be interpretated with different meanings.

There are kids playing the game rated M. Some grandparents play with there kids.

Polite and friendly. Stay out of what is acceptable and let BK handle it and you'll never go wrong. There servers there rules.

There are pieces everyone has issues with. Different issues different people. But the whole is better then the pieces you don't like for most. Symbiosis. The living together of unlike organisms.

If you think the slight differences in enforcement is hard try admining a perpetual hades gone whirling dervish.

You're a good player hang in there and consider joining and applying for admin.

As far as your warnings someone will undoubtably investigate and get back to you.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:45 pm
Scubaduck, it generally takes more than one kick for a player to be remembered as a "bad egg".  So, no worries there.  We all understand that people make mistakes or suffer from a brief lapse in judgement.  Anyway, look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!