Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Weird Saving Error

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:51 pm
As many may know, I had issues with my Rank and Challenges being reset to a certain point a week ago and had to create a whole new account. I now have a similar issue that I cannot find help for online and was hoping one of you guys could think a solution. I REALLY don't want to have to create another new account.

The previous issue seemed to be with my mpdata file, which simply did not update/save itself. Now the issue is likely config and config_mp. My Rank and Challenges are saved, as are my weapons configurations, but the NAMES of my weapons setups do not save, nor do my console binds, nor any changes to the Options or Controls, or to the Filter Server settings. They are saved at a certain point during my account and get reset to that point each time I quit the game.

It should also be noted that I cannot uninstall the game. Every time I try, it goes for a while, then goes to the general "1628: Failed to complete installation". I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 w/ SP1. When I look under C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty - World at War, I don't even see an uninstall file, just install. I have my current C:\Users\Professional\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles\VilKing-BK- all backed up already. Even if I must remove this game manually from my registry and reinstall, I'll do it, but that is beyond my current knowledge.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your suggestions and answers.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm
These are the two things I found you can try that seam relatively harmless.  This is a tough one to find answers on.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/1158744.htm

http://www.smartcomputing.com/TECHSUPPORT/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=27321

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 am
Vista has a sp 2. I would get all the updates. You can save data to dvd and then reinstall the game or the patches if there is a problem with what you have. I had a disk that wouldn't even finish the installation so I know various problems can exist. The patches you just put on in order. Do you have any registry cleaner programs? Do you know how to Regedit?

Also I back up the entire folder to a dvd. I select Activision or CoD:WaW about once a week so there is no problem of losing my data. I would recommend everyone do this.
You can back it up to a temp file or wherever you want  but when I did my operating system went down and lost my config files. So I definitely recommend a DVD or even a CD.

I will look up the uninstall error and try to help tomorrow. We have a lot of pc literate people in BK.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:01 am
http://www.smartcomputing.com/TECHSUPPORT/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=27321

I googled this and it looks like the answer is there.   GOOD LUCK

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 am
if it was me i`d reload windows and go from there,they say you should reload windows every 6 to 12 months anyway good luck

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:59 pm
So, in an act of frustration (changing the server settings so I could see all our servers each time I started up the game and changing the graphics settings for optimal gameplay each time and not being able to set new binds were quite annoying) and impulsivity, I backed up and deleted all the file folders for CoD:WaW and used regedt32 to go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and deleted the Activision folder (didn't know how to back up, didn't know what it did really, did it anyway; knew it was a bad idea, didn't care). Also uninstalled PunkBuster the correct way.

Now when I fire up the disk, it acts as if the game weren't on my computer (success?). Similarly to the problem I had uninstalling, however, I get the error mesage "1628: Failed to Complete Installation" without the common preceding error message containing more details. Even folloeing the guidelines in http://www.smartcomputing.com/TECHSUPPORT/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=27321, it is failing.  Could I have missed something in the registry or elsewhere on my computer, or does it seem as though the disk is not working correctly? I cannot update to SP2 and cannot reformat; those who know why, know why, and those who don't, dont, and I'm leaving it at that. Can anybody think of what I did wrong (gotta learn something from this) and/or how to fix the issue? Thanks for your posts, guys, and I tried every link and sugggestion that I could. None fo them worked, however. Hopefully this problem gets resolved this time, though.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:34 pm
Did you try to install the game? It might reinstall over what is there if you go to task manager first and shut off all of those processes that the article talks about and then install the game as an administrator.
I have had programs that I started to uninstall and something goes wrong and it shows that the program was uninstalled and yet you get the error messages. I wish I had your pc so I could try. You might ask
Oxfurd or one of those other BK members that are computer savvy.

Also I agree with hellin. It is good to put on a clean copy of the operating system every 6 to 12 months depending on how many programs that you install and unistalled and according to how many problems you have with it.
It makes everything work faster and with fewer problems.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:28 am
Hey VilKing,

I'm new here so may not be 100% caught up on the issue, but I'd try 2 things:

1. Turn off User Account Control in Vista. Go to Start -> Control Panel, and switch it to Classic View, then --> User Accounts --> Change User Account Control settings, and select to turn it off. It will ask to confirm, then ask to restart your PC. UAC is supposed to be a security feature in Vista but I found it to be more annoying than helping... I run with it turned off always, for years now, and I don't feel a bit less safe. But, of course, do it at your own risk lol. After restart, disconnect from internet and turn off your antivirus. Try to install now (not from the splash screen though... go to my Computer, right-click CD drive, click Open, right-click on Setup file and select Run as Administrator). If succeeds, remember to enable antivirus before connecting back to internet.

2. If 1 fails, check if game CD itself is corrupted (scratched etc.)? Maybe try copying it to hard drive and, if successful, run setup from hard drive, and also try to install to a diff. folder (not program files, just make a folder on drive C: or whatever). If you can't copy to hard drive without error, well you just need a new game CD. If that's the case, copy your friend's but use your own CD key - should work.

As to reinstalling OS, it may help b/c Vista is known for permissions problems (although disabling UAC, antivirus, and Running as Administrator should take care of them), but I'd do it as last resort.

Well good luck!