Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Battlefield's stand on dedicated servers

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 pm
Yes I know this has been posted before... but just wanted it where it could be easily accessed.

"A lot of buzz has been floating around the internet lately about dedicated servers and we wanted to make sure our all our players have the best understanding of how Battlefield will be played on the PC.  Since Battlefield 1942 DICE has used dedicated servers for all platforms.  This formula has worked well, and still works well, for us and for the gaming community.   We have stayed true to this practice and will continue this tradition into the upcoming title Battlefield Bad Company 2.  

Other games use player-hosted or 'peer to peer' solutions, often resulting in a "host with the most" situation; where the player hosting the match has an advantage over other players connected to their game. Everyone else is dependent on the host's internet connection and if they don't have a great connection neither will you regardless how great of an internet you have.  Also, unless server migration is implemented the game ends when that hosting player quits the game forcing you to find another player-host or start your own.  With dedicated servers everyone gets non-stop action with no connection penalties based on some other player and their internet.  This makes dedicated servers the best solution for online PC gaming hands down! So rest assured PC players, Battlefield will stay true to its roots offering dedicated servers to all its players and continue the tradition of the ultimate FPS gaming experience!

Dedicated Server FAQ for Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC

Will there be an option to have my own dedicated server? Yes, DICE will have trusted partners with datacenters worldwide that you'll be able to rent a dedicated server from ensuring you always have a quality server in your region.

How much will it cost to rent a dedicated server for Battlefield Bad Company 2? Because these are offered by the trusted partners we can't answer that, but they will be priced fairly according to your market.

Can I control my server with remote admin tools? Yes, you will have the ability manage your server via remote admin tools allowing you to manage your server, your way.

Is there the option to give my server a custom name? Yes, you'll be able to name your server what you like.

Will I be able to make a reserve list for my server? Yes, you will be able to reserve a limited amount of space on your server when public for whom ever you like.

Am I able to host a private match? Yes, you will be able to password protect your server.

Is there a client server browser to view server lists? Yes, clients on the PC will have a full server's browser to select the server they'd like to play on.

Can I earn ranks and rewards on my rented server?  Yes!  You will be able to run your server as Ranked allowing you to still earn unlocks, rewards, and host a server for all to enjoy.

Are PC clients going to be match made to servers? No, PC clients will use their server browser and filter options.

Will you have an anti-cheat requirement? Yes, all dedicated servers and clients on PC will be required to have the anti-cheat software running at all times."

___________Fireteam Zulu | Graphics Team Leader | SFC____________

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:33 pm
I'm sold...

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm
I believe I am too... I would have bought the game anyway... but this makes me even more excited. If you watch some of the trailers, it shows off the total destruction 2.0 engine. OH MY GOSH!!! It's amazing...

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 pm
Im sold, when can I expect release so I can buy?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:43 pm
Release date is sometime in March unfortunately...

But on a side note, Battlefield 1943 will be released sometime after christmas for PC, and hopefully before BC2 is released.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:10 pm
1943 was originally going to be released in September... but I suppose it got pushed back with BC2. I do know they are planning to release it before BC2 to give the community something to nibble on before the full game comes out.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 pm
Yea, I think if BF 1943 is moderatly priced it would be a great stepping stone from World at War heading into BC2

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:12 pm
It's priced at 15 dollars. Has 3 maps... plus an extra one once the community reaches a certain number of kills.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:15 pm
At last BK appreciated BC2 Very Happy I mean I was advertising it from time to time but now you're all captivated Wink

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 pm
Hey man I was excited for BF1943 from the beginning... I was just more excited about MW2 at the time.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:11 am
i cant wait the game looks awesome and has dedicated servers

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:53 am
The new BF1943 only has three maps saw the demo WAS NOT impressed its still 1943 ( didnt much care for that either) Ill look at BF BC2 but last i saw it only had two game modes ...more maps but only 2 game modes <shrug>

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:23 am
Well BK's servers are all running just one gametype... so I don't think that will be a problem... but because I loved 1942 so much, I am very excited about 1943 coming out soon. Can't wait to play some of the old maps with the new engine.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Do you know if 1943 will implement the new frostbite engine being used in BC2?

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm
Yes it will. Also, I believe that if you buy 1943, you get to use WW2 weapons in BC2 when it comes out or something like that.