Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Call of Duty to be Subscription for Online!

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:52 am

Quote:

ctivision says you should "expect" paid-for online models such as those in World of Warcraft to make the transition to other games, including Call of Duty.

Speaking during yesterday's BMO Capital Markets Conference (which sounds fun), Activision Blizzard CFO, Thomas Tippl said that while WoW's model is difficult to replicate, players should expect new monetization models for its other games soon.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added.

"I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

According to the Activision CFO, there is a demand from its core fanbase to pay for additional services.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," he said.

Seriously?

Here is the breakdown of the total sales for Modern Warfare 2 thus far. There has been 9 million copies sold and of that, only 6% are PC sales.

If they are really thinking of monetizing the game, they should just quit making PC games, its as simple as that. If we wanted the console experience we would buy a console, we put too much money into our rigs to pay for games where our community is not even the focus or are neglected, I honestly don't understand how some of us can play the game knowing IW / Activision is continually stabbing us PC gamers in the back and kicking us while we're down.

Anyways lets here you guys opinions.

Sources:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227204
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5871

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:54 am
It was free, only reason I play.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:37 am
6 percent of NINE MILLION copies...and yet folks just don't understand why they are not conceding to PC users demands...  What part of it's a business and businesses are structured to make money don't you understand?   Listening to people go on and on about the lack of loyalty from IW is starting to sound a bit pathetic and naive.  It's cool to be pissed at their leading us on but but one should expect loyalty from your friends and your dog, not from huge businesses with profit being the sole business model.  The best of COD has come to an end for folks like us. The sooner we accept it for being what it is and moving on to a new format or a modded version of an existing COD version the better I think.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:07 am
I disagree with you Hellboy   yes businesses are designed to make money but would they have to resort to these kind of tactics if they would have released a PC version that was palatable? if it was what the PC user demanded they would have sold more up front and then maybe since they had the game they would fork over the $$ for a subscription. right now they are milking a dry cow, they are trying to get the 354,000 to spend more money this won't work. imagine selling a pen for $1 then charging someone every time they use it. would you use that pen or would you use a different pen that works better but isn't as pretty? I don't think I have to tell you that pen 1 is MW2 and that the other is COD4. any good business manager would realize that you can't charge for content in the middle of a series because it would limit your sales. (won't buy the upgrade) that is where the  WOW series is different they were charging for content since day one. WOW is also more than running and gunning it is about interaction between characters and it is larger than 9v9 there is a whole world not several small maps. it will not work mark my word this will be a failure.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:10 am
Yea Jello I see what your saying and agree that changing to a pay to play mid stream is a risky plan for a shooter but don't think I will have much sympathy if they end up shooting them selfs in the foot while doing it. As far as the rest of what you were saying about the additional sales if they had done this or that well,,,nine million copies in 8 days and counting seems to out weigh a palatable PC version as you put it.  It sucks and they are jerks for dropping the bomb on us about the servers at the last minute but as I said in my other post, it is what it is. Time to set our sights on what's next.  Wink

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:46 am
yep just hope others don't follow suit

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 pm
6% of 9,000,000 = 540,000 copies at $50.00= $27,000,000.00   This is a lot of profit.  

I have the game and it plays like a console, my complaints are the bunny hopping and running and gunning all the time.  There also seems to be really good  (sarcasm) players who can score 50 to 10 life to death ratios.  It can be frustrating for an old man like me.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:25 pm
mmmmmmm, never gonna play it and dont care if im missin out....
C'MON BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2!!!!