Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

If you you hadn't noticed...

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:33 am
I haven't been online today.  Well for one, I have a nice bottle of Sangria here that I am nearly finished.  I also decided to rework both my laptops.  I WAS going to reinstall OS X on my dell, but decided to shelve that completely and just run Windows 7 x86 like I have been.  That's my normal laptop I use for rcon and my TS eyes.  When I get my junked Dell desktop from a friend I am going to switch it all over to that, but with a twist.  I am going to be running Ubuntu(linux) on that desktop.  On my Acer laptop I HAD been running Vista Home premium and Ubuntu Hardy Heron.  Tonight I decided to wipe it clean and install Ubuntu Karmic Koala.  It's up and running fine and on my network.  At the moment though I am using a virtualization software package called VirtualBox to install Windows XP WITHIN Ubuntu.  This is how I plan on running TS and rcon on the desktop.  I wanted to test it all out first.  Originally I had tried installing TS and rcon using Wine for Linux.  TS worked ok with only a few errors, I couldn't even get rcon up and running.  this is what prompted me to go the full Linux route with a virtual machine inside of it.  The only downside is the standard 30 minute XP installation for me is taking significantly longer.

If some of you don't know what Ubuntu is, it is an alternative operating system(read: not windows) based on Unix.  It is fairly simple to use as far as Linux distributions go, and runs excellent on old hardware.  If you are interested in checking Ubuntu out, it is completely free, just google for their site.  Just know that none of your Windows based applications will work without installing virtualization software.  I highly recommend checking it out if you have a spare pc sitting around, and I can help you with any issues that might arise.

So yeah, just an update on what I am doing today, and wishing I had more people to geek out with when it came to messing with different operating systems.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:01 pm
Well I have successfully setup TS and Rcon within Virtualbox on the Ubuntu machine.  I tried wine again but received the same errors as before.  The only issue I am having with Virtualbox is the low resolution, which I can't do anything about sadly.  Currently going about updating the XP install.  I am realizing now that I will not be able to do this on the Dell box when I get it as it has pretty low system specs.  I dunno, we'll see.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:13 pm
Ah nevermind, Virtualbox has a Seamless Integration mode, which is what I was trying to do with VMware.  This allows me to run it all from within Ubuntu's desktop.  I'll post a screenshot of what I mean when it is all set up.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 pm
Sounds great I cant wait to see it.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm