Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Protect yourself

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:38 am
So in light of a recent post on our forums (read: a few minutes ago), I'd like to inform everybody of how I protect my computers.

It's fairly simple really.  I don't run any fancy anti-spyware or software firewalls.  I just run an anti-virus program.  One program per computer, except on my linux computer which has no anti-virus installed.  It's really very easy to keep your machines from getting infected with something nasty.  Here are a couple rules to live by which have kept me safe for a long time.

1) If you don't know what it is, don't download it.
2) Even if you do know what it is, don't download it from some random place.  Always try to use the original creator's site or any number of reputable sites like download.com, ect.
3) Those emails sitting in your inbox from unknown senders, senders with strange names, ect?  Hit the spam button, don't even open them.
4) Odd emails from senders you DO know?  Generally safe to open, but don't click any links just to be sure.  Inform your friend or whomever they may have been infected and now their email is compromised.
5) Be careful what sites you login to.  for example, a legitimate site would be steam.com.  A naughty site would be steam.lawl.com.
6) If you run instant messenger programs, just close all the unsolicited im's you receive.  Most likely they are all spam.

7) There are no bankers, long lost cousins, or pissed off government workers in Nigeria who want to give you a hundred million dollars.  Sad I know, but true.

If you do run into any issues you can check out this handy guide on a nifty little tool called ComboFix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

When all else fails, Google is your friend.  Whenever I am having a difficult time fixing ANYTHING, I always head straight to Google.  Odds are somebody before you has had that problem as well.  You can't always find the answers you need there, but Google is your last and best bet to finding a solution.

Not everybody is tech savvy.  We are here to help you if you need.

When I got to work today some people were freaking out because "the internet was down" on one of our main computers.  I'm not the IT guy but said I would take a look at it.  First thing I did was check the ethernet cable on the back of the pc to make sure it was still seated firmly in place.  That was fine so I traced it to the wall.  Turns out somebody shoved a recycle bin hard against the cable and dislodged it from it's socket.  Easy fixes are always nice. ;)

I just thought of something else to keep your wallet safe as well.

Ebay.  Some people use it, some don't, some might.

I use it plenty, and to keep myself from having any issues with sellers I follow a few rules there as well.

After I start a search I always refine it with the following options from the left panel.

Buy it now, Free shipping, US only.  You could even go one step further and select Top rated sellers.  I always stay away from sellers with little to no ratings.  That Intel Core i7 selling for 25 bucks from a seller with two total ratings?  A bad idea to even try, trust me.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Aw darn :'( and i was trying to sell that i7 so badly!

lol i just use ESET Smart Security... it rocks in more ways than one ^_^ i find myself downloading stuff all the time just to see if eset will block it ;)

( btw guys if your anti-virus allows you to download a virus....odds are its already executed itself Smile )

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:08 pm
what did i miss?

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 am

WannaB wrote (View Post):

Aw darn :'( and i was trying to sell that i7 so badly!

lol i just use ESET Smart Security... it rocks in more ways than one ^_^ i find myself downloading stuff all the time just to see if eset will block it ;)

( btw guys if your anti-virus allows you to download a virus....odds are its already executed itself Smile )

I use Eset Nod32 on three of my four Windows computers.  Avast Free on the fourth.  I don't like it much as it is always promoting the paid version with pop ups, but it does it's job.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:13 pm
Bah Tet that would be like having a guy stand by your computer saying " Would you like to use your computer today? " lol Ill stick to eset Wink besides if you can catch the beta version of eset it never expires ^_^

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm

WannaB wrote (View Post):

Bah Tet that would be like having a guy stand by your computer saying " Would you like to use your computer today? " lol Ill stick to eset Wink besides if you can catch the beta version of eset it never expires ^_^

That laptop is generally used for music downstairs or for other people to browse the intertubes with.  So I rarely see it.