Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

EA removes Taliban from 'Medal of Honor' multiplayer

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:10 am
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:29 am
awww... EA, you bunch of limp-wristed pushovers. just a tad of bad press and you roll over and capitulate.

I haven't agreed with many of Activision's business decisions of late, but at least they stick by their guns...

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:36 am
I guess thats all good. I'm darn sure not losing any sleep over it.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 am
My opinion.  We should make all the enemy look like alien zombies and be done with it.  

My two cents.

P.S.  On the other hand, the zombie community may rise up against the issue.   Twisted Evil

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:29 pm
I agree with the issue of not using current affairs in gameplay.....wounds are still being made so its not appropriate in my eyes.....
my 2 cents Smile

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:56 pm
i hate to disagree, but i think that putting current events into a game is an important part of the storytelling of the game.  

here's an example, Crysis has nothing to do with current events, your airdropped onto some nameless island to kill koreans.  sure there's a story that goes along with it, but you don't really feel involved or engaged until the 3rd act when the aliens show up and your running for your life. yea, there's some entertaining game mechanics and plenty of variety to keep things fresh, but as an entertainment medium, i find the first parts boring.

On counterpoint, we have COD4: Modern Warfare.  This is based loosely on current events, but not exactly.  While the names and faces have changed, the polarized rhetoric of all sides shows through.  This is one of those very good games that you cant helped but get sucked into, because on some level you identify with the characters/mission/story.  This is a rare occurence because, lets face it, how many ppl are REAL action heroes?

And another thing to consider: In CoD4 and 6 the insurgent/terrorist forces are not named, and sorta portrayed as muslim/eastern europeans.  While it is true that some extremists from both demographics are evil, the games portray ALL of them as being evil.  In MOH, and in real life, the whole of the Taliban is undeniably evil and violently opposed to western ideals and philiosophy.

which is worse?

SSG.Braxis*BK*
p.s. - I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just pointing out other sides and getting ppl thinking

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:15 am

LADYHAWK wrote (View Post):

I agree with the issue of not using current affairs in gameplay.....wounds are still being made so its not appropriate in my eyes.....
my 2 cents Smile

I agree.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:31 am
Taliban/Insurgents/ Freedom Fighters...go ahead and pick one. I could see how this could effect people who have lost loved ones in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. A game in which one could play this Opfor and "kill" American Soldiers/Marines. With that being said I can't remember any outpouring of protests from people when the Call of Duty games came out. How dare someone play the Axis side and fight the Allies. It's just a game to me. Having served in the Marine Corps and in Desert Shield/Storm I'd be content playing on either side of this game. Again just my opinion but we sometimes try to be so PC that we lose sight of things. It's a game...It's not real combat....You have no respawns in the real world. Happy gaming!!

Locate close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver......
7th Engineers "C" CO.1stFSSG Camp Pendleton..ONCE..ALWAYS 86-92
Alpha Company 2nd BN 151st INF ARNG Indiana 11-15
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 pm
It's a game "STUPID IS STUPID DOES"..oh! yes we don't to offend those we at WAR with, might piss them off.....gggggggggggggg give me a break....there is not enough gore, WAR is lots of blood and gore not made to play nice with the guy, women or kid that just tried to blow your head off.

"Don't want a game based on today's events"....huh! why? everyone playing MOH is based in Afghanistan

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 am

Nam-Ranger wrote (View Post):

It's a game "STUPID IS STUPID DOES"..oh! yes we don't to offend those we at WAR with, might piss them off.....gggggggggggggg give me a break....there is not enough gore, WAR is lots of blood and gore not made to play nice with the guy, women or kid that just tried to blow your head off.

"Don't want a game based on today's events"....huh! why? everyone playing MOH is based in Afghanistan

Actually the offense was taken by US soldiers who have fought against the Taliban in Iraq, seeing as how you could play as the Taliban and kill american soldiers in multiplayer.

___________Fireteam Zulu | Graphics Team Leader | SFC____________

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm
It's a game.....what about the Viet Nam game?...we lost (THANKS TO OUR GOVERNMENT)......they have to have thicker skin and grow up more!

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:35 am

Nam-Ranger wrote (View Post):

It's a game.....what about the Viet Nam game?...we lost (THANKS TO OUR GOVERNMENT)......they have to have thicker skin and grow up more!

If you were to view the EA MOH forums when it happened you would actually see tons of soldiers posting on the fact it didn't bother them and like Nam said, it is just a game. They are able to distinguish the difference between war and video games.  They mostly blamed the higher-ups in the military for the "freak out".  Seems EA took the politically correct route.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:41 am
Either way if they did or did not change the name. In America if your from the middle east and wear a turban odds are your going to be called a Taliban.

Its pretty sad; when our own government trained them ^_^

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:10 pm
On the whole middle easterners being bad people thing, I spent time in the mid east in the 80's and early 90's and made a few friends there.  But just like any culture you have people that you can trust and most you don't.  I don't by nature trust anyone until I get to know them and then if they ever even hint at betraying that trust, I'll never trust them again.  Making friends from different cultures is not a lot different than picking a new dog up at the pound.  You need to take time to get to know them before you'd leave your kids with them.  Sort of guilty until proven innocent so to speak, but that is the world we live in.

Do I mis-trust Middle Easterners?  Yes I do, all but the ones I made friends with.  But I also don't trust my neighbors and the people that live behind me as well, they have never given me any any reason to trust or not trust them and until they do, I'll be wary and watchful  of them.  

CAD

If you run, you will only die tired.
Ne Desit Virtus, Rakkassan (B Co. 1/187 Inf, 101st Abn Div.)

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:50 am