Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

BO Lock's Up

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:07 pm
When I'm in the game are going to a different map, it has frozen. The only way to get out of it is to reboot the system. Here is my system..

Proccesor  2.40 GHz dual quad
Memory 3.00 GB
32 Bit Vista OS
Card 9800 GT

Game settings
Shadows OFF
Anti tallis 4X
Lots of AUTO
Syc Every Frame NO
Field Of View MAX
60HZ Screen Refresh Rate

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm
run the game in window mode = never again rebooting^^

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:08 pm
You have plenty of power to run the game.  I would try checking your gfx driver to make sure you are current.  The newest driver is 260.99, click on the link below to download the driver.

-->260.90<--

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 pm
I just click default for all my setting. So for so good, THANKS  Very Happy everyone for your in put.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 pm
SlientWolf does not support my video card.....my card is a GT..

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 pm
Hmmmm thats strange.  I put in the gfx card you listed.  I would just go to www.nvidia.com, click on download drivers and follow the steps at the top right.  Thats where I got the driver I sent you.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:50 pm
I know what I did wrong.  I select XP as your OS not Vista.  This is the right driver for your system.

-->260.99<--

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:20 pm
I was having a stuttering problem and a lock-up as well.

The problem is that the game drops all the load onto the CPU and less on the GPU.

Major Issues.

1. The game for some reason defaults for single core but SLI mode. You need to change this in the config file or use the config editor (someone wrote one for blackops - I will try to find it online and post it). This ALONE locked me up - as I have a duel core, but I am not running SLI GPUS. Once I set it to multi-core CPU and turned off SLI I was able to play.

2. I still had stuttering problems. I solved this by lowering my onboard sound settings to CD quality 16 bit / 48k. It has reduced it significantly, but I still get the problems occasionally. To solve this you can restart the sound in the game by going to the console and typing /snd_restart  - this works VERY well and I have no problems.

3. I was still having perfomance issues and was able to reduce those by changing some of the config settings (using the config editor I mentioned above).

The major problem with BlackOps are the following:

A. For some reason they thought all users are running SLI and dont' give the option in the game to turn that off. You need to go to the config file to edit that. The other issue is running on single core - with no option (without going to the config editior) to change it to multi-core. This is a typical issue for all software companies when they send out software for the first time  - default configuration. In BlackOps case the kind of f'd up - making it difficult for many out there with multi core and not running SLI. It is easily corrected.

B. The game is design to push the CPU rather than the GPU. This is really stressing CPUs. You can find tons of posts about gamers running i7 Quads and having issue. The problem is NOT the hardware it is all in the configure file. Then need to take the load off the CPU and push some onto the GPU. I guess the programers thought (correctly) that they should utilize more of the CPU and take stress off the GPU, however - they didn't provide any way for users to make adjustments - without going to the config file.

What they should of done is have an advanced menu that allows users to make changes without having to open the console or config file.

I am now able to play and only have a few hiccups. I noticed after the sound changes and running the config program that my CPU is now running at 90-93% and no longer at 100% steady and freezing up the game.

I have a G13 gaming pad and run the application to see CPU utilization - this was a big help when playing with configurations. I need to see that CPU drop below 100% to know that I can no longer taxing my CPU - so I could get the game to run.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Silexx on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 pm
ALSO....
Make sure your graphics settings in your OS (Operating System) match those that you are running in BO!!
If you are running BO at 1024x768 with AA at 4x, then set Windows to 1024x768.  This help me get rid of a lot of my lock ups that I too have recently having.

Also as stated above make sure you have the latest graphic drivers for you card!

Good Luck!