Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Looking for adivce on new keyboard and mouse

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 pm
I am currently in the process of looking for a new keyboard and mouse. I have had a few suggestions over team speak but i figured on the forums would be easier.

As far as keyboards go i was looking at the Merc Stealth from steel series. It looked to have a nice ergonomic gaming pad and i was curious if anyone had experience with this keyboard. For keyboards i was just looking for something that is specific for gaming. Like this merc stealth is the only one i noticed that has its key mapped specifically for gaming.

As far as mouses i was looking into wired mosues. I got recommendations for the Lachesis 5600 but im worried it wont be comfortable. I was hoping for something with more than 5 buttons and comfortable.

Any advice would be great!

-Peachfuz

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 pm
I dont have any experience with that keyboard, but to be perfectly honest, keymapping is very easy and game specific anyways, so i think they "gaming specific" keyboards are a bit of a waste of money... really all you should look for is one with solid reviews, and good response time, and macro buttons if that is what you want.  Personally, i am a huge sucker for mechanical keyboards, they are much more reliable and precise than regular keyboards. but they are loud as well, so maybe they are not up your street...

a couple to look at:
mechanical, the last keyboard you will ever need: Razer Blackwidow ultimate

a nice mid range keyboard, very solid and reliable (i have one), no macro keys: Saitek Cyborg

As for mice, i have tried a number of mice, and this is my current favorite: Razer Imperator.  It is light, it is precise, its comfy, it has all the buttons i want and nothing more.  

Work of warning, when looking for mice, take note of if they are laser mice or optical mice. laser mice require a specific type of mouse pad to work properly, otherwise you will get random wandering.

here is a good cheap gaming surface that works very well for me (both optical and laser): x-trac ripper

Hope this helps!
SSG.Braxis*BK*

Last edited by Braxis on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:01 pm
Thanks i will definitely look into this!

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 pm
Another option for a mouse is the Razer Naga. It has 12 buttons on the side plus 2 by the left button which can all be customized using the razer profiler. It does take a little getting used to but I have had it now for almost a year and dont even have to think about hitting the button I want to. Cant help you on the keyboard as I use a joystick but between these two I can assign just about every in game input I want to the two.

"Do or do not there is no try!"
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:00 pm
RAZER makes a ton of awesome Mice.  I have used the Copperhead, the Diamondback, and I am currently using the Lachesis which has been great for gaming.

The Naga, that Wolfie mentioned is great for games like WOW that use a ton of buttons to use equipment and cast spells, but all those buttons don't really help in a 1st person shooter.

The new MAMBA is pretty amazing 5600dpi with the option of corded or cordless!!!  SWEET!!! This also has 7 programmable buttons.

The rest of the line up includes the DeathAdder, the Abyss, the Orochi, the Imperator, and the "TRON" gaming mouse.

You can check them all out at http://www.razerzone.com

(They also make some pretty nice keyboards too!   I use the Tarantula myself.)

Good luck in you search for a new mouse and keyboard!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:46 pm
(Logitech Fan Boy steps up on soapbox)

I am using the Logitech G-15 keyboard which is the bomb!  I love it!  You can monitor your TS on the screen on the keyboard and see who is talking on TS without overlays.  It works right out of the box.  No funny business.  The macro keys make giving warnings a breeze and save you typing time.  I have had mine since last May and I wouldn't go back!

The mouse I use is the Logitech (shocker) G500.  You can customize the weight of the mouse to give you a better feel.  (Seemed silly at the time  but I really like it.)  Very sensitive, smooth, no wonkiness.  It could use a couple more buttons, but I really like it.

Good luck in your search!

Please remember to purchase good equipment that will make you happy and slower to respond than me!   Surprised

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 am
whats the advantage to mechanical keyboards? and just curious why is Logitech ur favorite?  and why are razer mouses so good? do they last long? good interface?

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:48 am
Peach,
I have the merc stealth keyboard and love it.  For my fat old fingers the side control pad works great.  I had the old merc and got the stealth because of the back lit keys. I also use a razor mouse, I have the Mamba because it was wireless, big waste of money because the battery life is very low.  I use it wired most of the time.   Get a good razor mouse wired like the Copperhead and you will like the speed.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:56 am
how long have u had the stealth? i read there are some durability issues with the rubber keys wearing.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 am
mechanical keyboards: these have some advantages, but they also have flaws.  the advantages are: they have faster response times (yea, we're splitting hairs, but every little advantage you can get, right?) They can also take upwards of 12 inputs simultaneously, digital keyboards can only take 3-5 depending on level of tech.  This can be very good in firefights, as i tend to mash so many controls in such rapid succession that my saitek gets confused.  The best feature of mechanical keyboards, tho, is that they are modular.  The keys are amazingly reliable anyways, but if one goes dead on you, you can replace JUST THAT KEY, instead of the whole board. and you can do it yourself.  

The downsides of mechanical keyboards are this, they are pricey, and they are LOUD.  for a reference as to what they sound like, watch a movie with an early 80's computer in it ("James Bond: A View to a Kill" comes to mind first).  But, if you can get over that, best keyboards in the world.

I am a huge fan of razer, i like everything about that company, from the products to the business goals.  I think that they make comfortable, high quality products for a good price.  That said, if at all possible, get an extended return option with any mouse you buy, because everyone has different preferences when it comes to mice, and what works for me may not for you.

SSG.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:59 am
well i just learned that i have a palm grip as opposed to a claw grip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSGFQIcU_o

this said, i was planning to buy the mouse from newegg altho their pesky return policy while i understand stinks so im hoping to not have to return it. so if anyone has a similar grip preference that would help as to style of mouse

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:37 am
well, my grip is a palm/flatfinger grip.  the thing that modifies my grip is that i have a wrist beanbag that my wrist lays across to hold my mouse. that said, my mouse (Razer Imperator) is very comfy with or without the wrist bag.  I have no clue where I got the bag... probably at walmart years and years ago... Razz

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:45 pm
WOW, that Razer Naga looks awesome. That is the kind of mouse I like and may have checked it out when I bought mine.

I was using a logitech mx518 and currently using a logitech mx revolution. I'm not a logitech fanboy and could really care less what brand a mouse I'm using, so long as it suits me and does what I'm looking for.
Anyways, if your looking for buttons, the mx revolution has 13 different functions you can assign consisting of two wheels one being a thumb wheel.
However, it is a cordless but holds a really good charge. It hasn't left me with my pants down yet. Smile For a mouse that is not a gaming mouse it performs well.

http://www.google.ca/images?q=mx+revolution&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=U5pSTZGWJ8T_lgfI19jhCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQsAQwAA&biw=1177&bih=705

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:57 pm
Razer Deathadder 3500 and the Razer Lycosa. Best evarrrr.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:45 pm
I use a stock dell keyboard and a $10 Pixio 5 button laser mouse. Works well for me.