Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

Llama Down! Advice on backing up any BO files?

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:11 am
Well,  I came home today to a crashed Win7.  Can't recover with the disk, didn't have a image back-up and I've done about everything else I know to do.  It just won't boot.  Luckily, I keep an Ubuntu (Linux) partition on this computer on a separate HD...which I'm using to post this now.  

Looks like my only option is to do a clean re-install.

Has anyone reinstalled BO?  Anything I need to know with backing up profiles, Steam, etc?  I would usually Google it, but I figure someone here has gone through this and can give me better advise.

Probably won't get to do this until Saturday, so see you guys on the battlefield sometime next week.  Sad

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 am
I have not reinstalled BO but have reinstalled many games that use Steam. Steam saves the MP profiles on their end. But you may want to save the following:

...Your install...\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

If you can manage to run a backup, try backing up Steam using the application built into Steam. It will save everything and you won't need to RE-Download the game again. You can find the option under the Steam window drop down on the Steam App \ Backup or Restore Games.

~*~ Stephanie ~*~
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 am
I have had to re-do my laptop, there is no need for a back up. all your information is saved in steam, just after re-install, downlaod steam, and you will have to re-download all your games, but the actual game information will still be there, it was for mine . . .

Bonjour Mes Amis, Laisser les bons temps rouler
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 am
Thanks to both of you.

I got LUCKY!  Just before I had decided to start backing up and format, I noticed while in Ubuntu that the drive Windows 7 was on was not set as a primary boot drive...and it clicked that the Win7 DVD would be looking for the OS on whatever was set to that drive.  Got that fixed from Ubuntu, and wha-la, the disk recognized the Win7 partition and off to repairing it went.

That being said, I love Western Digital...but stay away from their Caviar Green series of drives.  This one is a 1 TB, and it keep getting bad sectors in it that's effecting my OS.  I've got to get it replaced with a non-Al Gore certified drive.

Thanks for the tips!

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:01 am
glad to hear you are bad up and running . . .

Bonjour Mes Amis, Laisser les bons temps rouler
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 am
I recently moved my steam installation to another disk and i found on the steam forum that if you don't want to download all the games again all you have to do is copy the :

your drive\Steam\steamapps\

folder to a safe place and copy it back once you reinstall steam. All the games installed through steam are in that folder.