Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Crossfire setup

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:21 pm
Yesterday I went and bought my second 5850 for crossfire.  Ran furmark and it show both GPU's and doubled my score Very Happy , but I am not able to get it to work in Black Ops.  I have checked the config file and its good to go.  Tried Window mode and full screen no go.  Do I need to download the ATI Catalyst Application Profiles files for it to add BO?  Also how do you get the crossfire logo to show in game?  Thanks.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 pm
Just open the CrossFireX panel of the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and check the Enable CrossFireX checkbox...once that's done then you are in CrossFireX mode...no need to add BO to the profiles...

To see the CrossFireX logo, just right-click the CCC down in your taskbar...you should see your video cards...scroll over the top card and another box opens which should include CrossFireX Settings...when you scroll over that you should see two more choices, either disable CrossFireX or "Show CrossFireX Status Icon"...click that and you'll see the logo in your top right screen as well as in any game you play...

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 pm
Yes the Enable Crossfire box is checked.  But when playing BO there is no utilization on the second gpu.  I could tell in furmark it was running both gpu because it show the two cards temps.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:57 pm
Then you need to go into the config file and check a code line or two...this was originally posted somewhere (although memory escapes me as to where) but this should help you:

Quote:

if you go into the black ops folder inside steam, go to the players folder and there are two important files, config.cfg and config_mp.cfg edit both in notepad. search for the following strings seta r_multiGpu "1" seta r_multithreaded_device "0" by default, its set to enable multigpu mode and disable multicore support. set the value of multigpu to 0 if youre not running crossfire/sli. set the value of multithreaded to 1 to enable multicore support. so it should look like this. seta r_multiGpu "0" seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

So going by this, BO should already have multi gpu enabled...so do as instructed above and check those two lines...if multiGPU is set to "1" leave it...if it's "0" then change it to "1"...

Then I would advise setting the multithreaded_device to "1" as well so that you can utilize your cpu cores...

Let me know if this helps...

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:30 pm
I enabled the logo, BO was running in crossfire mode.  I just dont get why very little utilization is going on with second card, I wonder is it because its on an older engine?  WaW and BO has the same engine right?  If so maybe I will reinstall WaW and see what kind of utilization I get on second GPU.  Its not that the one GPU can't run well at high settings, running at 1920X1080 and get a solid 91fps (86-111fps) with one.  I did find out if you run window mode the logo goes away, so crossfire will not work in window mode.  Might have to try out that Crysis demo.  Thx for the help.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 pm
Np...glad to be of help...

Question though...are your PCIE slots 16x and 16x or do they go 16x for one and 8x by 8x for CrossFireX?

Usually, the 2nd card does less work then slot 1 to begin with...even on my MB that has 16x by 16x, when I ran the psychodelic donut test (aka furmark), the 2nd GPU was being utilized slightly less...

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:06 pm
Its the ASUS m4a89td pro/usb3 and it has 2 16x, I have a good amount of space between them was thinking about getting a fan to put in the slot.