Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

So what do you think of the new maps?

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 pm
I like all the maps, but Stadium.

Stadium = FAIL.  Here is the reason why. Stadium seems like a good idea, but it is really NOT a Stadium - you can't go into the arena, hide up in the seats, go onto the field (ICE) or anything. It should be called COURTYARD - as all the action and main area is in the court yard and a couple of buildings. There are the same 3 upper levels that everyone snipes from and the same 3 choke points everyone walks through. I think Stadium fell WAY short of what it could of been.

Berlin = WIN. They incorporations of Check-Point Charlie with the gun towers and danger zones was well executed, this makes the choke points all the more dangerous and interesting. The buildings offer an array of vantage points to shoot from and the streets / alleys have some good CQB. Well done.

Kawloon = WIN. I like Hong Kong and I think they captured the crappy side of Hong Kong (no offense) pretty well. This is a multi-level playing field, there is really no bottom level as the bottom level is elevated roof tops and even between them the elevation changes via ramps. There is some great choke points as well as CQB areas. Well executed map.

Discovery = WIN. Discovery wins because the maps with the game offers almost NOTHING for SNIPERS. Array is ok, but there is ONLY ONE angle that snipers can really use in ARRAY - thus again making scopes almost useless. Scopes have been added to the game, but the maps make using scopes useless and more of a novelty. I can make head shots with IRON SIGHTS on any map, save ARRAY (which is only one angle) - one should NOT be able to do this. Long Distant maps really create a sniper game. Bad Company had some big maps that made snipers a viable class, so far using scopes has been a complete waste in Black Ops as it narrows your feild of view and you can use iron sights since the maps are small. Discovery is the first REAL sniper map for the game and in the next map pack they need to make sure to have another wide open and long range map.

I give the map pack 4 out of 5 stars.
Stadium really could of been something, but since we don't even USE the stadium it was a huge buz kill. Imagine being able to go into the upper deck, hide behind seats, cross the arena - that would add an wide open and interesting element to the game. Fix Stadium and you have a 5 out of 5 review.

Thanks for taking the time to read my opinion.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 am
I like the maps overall.

On the Polite & Friendly servers, I notice players tend to spend even more time camping due to the vast open areas and/or number of angles you can be seen from by enemy combatants.

Stadium seems the easiest to navigate and prohibits sniping due to the cover involved.
Berlin Wall is more open, allowing snipers to take advantage of second story angles and two major choke points.  The dead zone serves to enforce these choke points.
Discovery is even more open, offering a plethora of sniping points and angles, though it is possible to navigate once you learn the least exposed routes.
Kowloon is the bane of my existence.  I love this maps design, but it is a campers dream and nightmare.  The elevation differences and sheer number of windows, ledges, and rooftops create a sense of impending doom, since you never know what angle you will be exposed to first when crouch walking through the map.  I make sure to visit the monkey cages every time I play this map.  They're just fun, and I wish I could break them out and let them loose on the opponents. :)

While some BK veterans may dislike Stadium, I've found it to be great fun for run&gun CTF servers.
I'm working through prestige levels and I tend to earn more experience on CTF run&gun than I do in most crouch walk/tactical style games.

See you in-game,
Damon