Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Cant Display 3 Monitors

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:04 am
Hey everyone. I just got a Raideon HD6850.  I have two 20" Standard DVI monitors and 1 24" HD monitor.

gfx card has 2 DVI 1 HDMI 1 DP

I started off with 2 DVI connections and 1 HDMI connection and was only able to activate two of the three displays.  Windows display properties stated it was not able to save the configuration.

I switched connection types, 1 DVI 1 HDMI 1 DVI-DP dongle and I get the same results.

Running W7-64.  OS sees all three displays are seen by Windows display manager and CCC.  When trying to use CCC to Extend to the 3rd display CCC states I have to disable one display to extend the 3rd display.

Has anyone else run across this and if you have how did you fix it?

Thanks

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:35 am
Nope my three displays work just fine.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am
What driver are you currently using.  I have the newest one from the amd website.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 am
Hey Silent_Wolf,
I have 3 monitors with DVI and VGA and an HD5770. Whilst my Vista64 can detect all three, it can only drive 2 of them. To get the third screen to work I had to get an 'active' displayport to DVI cable.
Don'tbe fooled into getting a 'passive' cable for half the price as it won't work (speaking from personal experience).
I paid £20 (about $30) from Amazon UK though I have seen it listed for twice as much.
~ Uchi

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm
Someone had mentioned that yesterday on TS, but I've only seen the "Active" DP>DVI dongles used for DualLink monitors.  I have some at work so I'll bring one home and try it.  Thanks

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm
Yes you need that dongle...rediculous that they don't give you one when buying a GPU.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:02 pm
I returned the card this morning.  I refuse to use a card that cant support enough power from the 6 pin and MB to run all display adapters on the board.  I have a different card from work.  its running 4 DisplayPort adapters out the back.  I'll see how that one works.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:22 pm
You are trying for eyefinity correct?  In that case you NEED the dongle.  Going any other route will not give you the desired effect for gaming.  The 6xxx AMD GPU's are much better the the 5xxx series for going eyefinity.  It's not a case in not enough power, but rather on how they function with one another.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 pm
Im sorry, I didnt fully state the situation.  I was just trying to extend to 3 different desktops. I was not able to extend three desktops let alone run eyefinity.  Of course that was my end goal and I was able to create an eyefinity group with two displays with no problems, but couldnt even get three screens to light up.

From my experience, the GPUs only have enough power to support so many display outputs.  So in this case it seems to me that the HD6850 is only able to power 2 outputs and needs the USB power DisplayPort adapter to get more.  Im not too worried.  I work with workstation equipment which means the cards that I have should have no issues playing any and all games.  Wink

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:50 pm
Yes correct.  Eyefinity will only work that way.

Workstation equipment?  Surely you don't mean workstation GPU's, cause they will NOT work for gaming.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 pm
The current card that I am using for game is a ATII/AMD FirePro V7800.  With a single display playing BO I get 90 - 110 FPS.  If I run eyefinity that goes down to about 65-80.  Workstation cards have no problems gaming.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 pm
Really?  Well you're set then...it was my understanding that workstation cards did not do gaming, but was rather for CAD, and such.  I know people in the past have tried and failed, guess the newer cards carry the power to game as well.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm
Hey Silent Wolf, I was the one that mentioned the powered adapter to you. Our cards do not have enough power output for three monitors thats why you need the powered adapter. I believe they fixed the issue with the 6900 series.There are some great how to videos on youtube. Just type in *eyefinity setup* and there are videos put out by ATI that should explain step by step what you need to do. Some videos even have black ops settings for optimal viewing pleasure. P.S. make sure that your DP is not a mini DP as I found that out on my card after waiting 2 weeks for my adapter to come in and then had to get a DP to mini DP adapter as well. Another thing that will save you some headaches is you will need to adjust the aspect ratio of your screen. You can go to www.widescreenfixer.com to download a program that will take care of the stretched look of the image. If you need any help send me a pm or catch me on ts and I can help you out.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 pm
Just to kind of give alittle background on myself, I currently work as an Engineer in the workstation gfx division R&D world.  Sadly most of my experience with graphics cards are with workstation boards so I dont know much about consumer cards.

That being said, my days are normally filled with stress testing hardware and drivers with the workstations sometimes playing games and watching movies.  There is some hard work here and there, more then I care to admit.

I know with some of the workstation cards, the GPU resources can only support so much but usually types of connections and not the amount of connections.  When I started figuring out that the HD6850 was having issues due to power and not connect types I realized that I need to keep using cards I know have the ability.

Thanks for the input Korupt......  You help me out.  No more Raideons for me.  Wink

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm
No problem Silent Wolf. My background is the furthest from computers as you can get. I work for John Deere's construction equipment division. So when someone finally needed help on an issue that I had a slight degree of intelligent input on, I had to post my findings.