Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Steam: Savior or Slayer of PC Gaming

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 am
Great article just posted at Maximum PC:  Is Valve's dominant digital platform the future? Or does it herald the end of PC gaming as we know it?

Thought y'all would like to read this if you haven't seen it already.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:29 pm
I believe most PC gamers own a gaming console of some kind.  I own a PS3, but I don't game on it at all.  I use it for watching BRs/DVDs and Netflix.  I'm not against console gaming.  I just haven't seen a title that makes me want to buy it.  I'm an MMORPG gamer and FPS gamer, and I do both on the PC.  I still oppose any requirement to run a third party application, like Steam, in order to play a game.  It's all for their benefit, obviously, and if PC users had their choice, I'm willing to bet the number of people using Steam at any given moment would drop significantly.  However, there are plenty of people who love Steam.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:14 pm
I think steam has done a great job of making it easy to find PC games. Its hard to find all but the biggest titles in the stores. I like the ability to buy games new and old quickly and easily. When it first came out I was not a fan but they have done a good job of improving it and I now buy all my games from it.

I love the ability to re-download games quickly and easily. Its nice to know I don't have to go look for a disk when i want to play a old game.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:04 pm
I think that Luke nailed it ... I like Steam for all those reasons and I also did not care for it when they first started Steam. The fact that I do not haveto keep track of all my disks or activation codes alone makes it worth it to me. Cool

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm
What's the real difference between running Punkbuster to control hackers or Steam? Far as I can see they're one and the same in terms of resources used, except Steam actually has the power to globally ban confirmed hackers.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 am
Punkbuster and VAC(Valve Anti-Cheat) have one major difference.  PB will ban you on the spot if it detects hacks.  VAC however logs suspicious activity and delays bans.  Supposedly its because they dont want people knowing why and for what they got busted(makes sense, basically its supposed to make it harder to figure out "what hack" got you banned, to prevent quick turnaround of fixes for the hacks that are out).

That being said, both VAC and PB can ban globally(if you run the proper PB on your PC, you can essentially read and write a global ban list)

As far as STEAM, Game for windows live(GFWL) tried and failed.  Steam isnt the only one out there(Direct2Drive) but i love steam.  Friends list, DLCs, automatic updates, amazing security precautions.  Steam not only makes money, but cares about how people view them.  The only gripe i have with STEAM is their support.  Just like all big name brands, support is somewhat lacking(and sometime difficult for first timers).

People should just give in to Steam and let it be the "Facebook" or "Apple(ughhh....i cant believe im giving Apple props)" of online gaming platforms.  Consoles are cool, but we all know, not a single console out there has anywhere near the capabilities of PC.  People are just scared to prevail, and if a PC was as easy as consoles, i believe PCs would be reigning supreme.  Its just easier for parents and kids to buy and want an "all in one" package.  PC being somewhat exclusive doesnt bother me one bit, keeps a decent amount of riff-raff out, but also opens the doors for some serious fanboys and script-kiddies(not to say there arent hackers/glitchers on consoles).

/end rant lol