Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

BROKEN PC

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:42 pm
Hello BK's Green here! I have no hard drive at the moment because it died yesterday. Don't ya just love computers. I hope to have it all sorted out in the next week. I hate doing this sort of stuff because I would rather be working on the oily lump of VW Golf GTI than fiddling with the dark art of soft and hard ware. I will catch you all soon. Wish me luck

Think of the withdrawal symptoms I am going to have with no gaming PC!!!!!!!!! aHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Fortunately it didn't have much saved on the HD But it will still tickle my brain trying to find all the stuff it did have!?

I had it checked and without actually removing the disk and placing it into another chassis it aint having it!

TTFN Salute Green

You cannot talk yourself out of trouble you walked right into![color=green][/color]
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:47 pm
Im fairly certain even if its "dead" there are many programs out there where you can salvage most of whats on there.

Sorry to hear that.  Newegg just had a killer deal too on 1TB HDDs.  $50!  I wish i got one but i been DLC crazy plus BF3 purchase is on the horizon.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:42 pm
I've used a program called GetDataBack to reciver data from hard drives that took a poop on my feelings. It worked rather well. OF course, You need a workign computer to plug the drive and move the files to.

A good remidner that more than one HDD is good to ahve.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm
9 out of 10 drives will run long enough as a slave to recover data after a dump,  but you can always use the list of what you should never do to a good drive  that sometimes helps, Like freezing, Dropping flat on a hard surface, I have used some weird things.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:30 pm
Cheers for all the tips guys. However as I said I am not bothered about the data as there was not much there in the first place. What am I now thinking about is what to replace it with. I am thinking SSD and a small HDD to back it up. I am open to suggestions. I do not know much about RAID, partitioning etc and as I have said before it is all a bit too techie for. I have done a bit of research and come up with this.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/products/SSD/downloads/SSD_vs_HDD_is_there_a_difference_Rev_3.pdf

Not sure if it is just an elaborate sales pitch or useful information?

Any way guys all tips will be read and even some acted upon. Things are time critical as I don't know how much longer I can survive without my PC.

I hope to advise my PC repair man tomorrow so get typing BK's lets see how you view this.

Salute Green  Smile

You cannot talk yourself out of trouble you walked right into![color=green][/color]
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 am
Look at this link for a good explination of RAID arrays.  I prefer a RAID 0 (2 matching disks), it's fast, but not fault tolerant.  As long as you back-up regularly, that shouldn't be a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

That being said, I'm looking to stick SSDs in the rig I'm getting ready to build.  They're really fast and there are no moving parts..  They are a bit expensive per gigabyte, so if cost is an issue Id go with a couple of high capacaty HDD.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 am
It's not advisable to Raid a pair of SSDs as you then can't run TRIM to manage the fragmentation.
Also I always backup my data to an external drive - every year or so I re-install from scratch to get rid of any incremental stuff.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:00 am
Id love a SSD, but just like all technology, its too new and too pricey ATM.  Id rather get 2 TB HDD than one high capacity SSD, thats just me though.  In a year or 2 i may thing about getting a SSD.  I mean i dont really care how fast my Windows boots up.  And my STEAM folder is WAY TOO BIG to even consider using a SSD at this point.

I would just go with a "fast HDD".  I have a 750GB Caviar Black, and i have 0 complaints, besides that fact that i need more space already  Twisted Evil

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm

UchiMata wrote (View Post):

It's not advisable to Raid a pair of SSDs as you then can't run TRIM to manage the fragmentation.
Also I always backup my data to an external drive - every year or so I re-install from scratch to get rid of any incremental stuff.

What about one SSD and one HDD? what is your opinion on this type of set up please?

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:47 pm
It certianly would be the best of both worlds...speed of the SSD, capacaty of the HDD.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 pm
I currently have an SSD and I wouldnt trade the world for it, but the drive is only 160GB so I only use it for OS and System related items. For everything else I use a mechanical drive in total of about 8TB of storage.  If you are only looking to run one drive or dont have the power to run multiple drive my suggestion would be a Hybrid drive.

-->Hybrid drive<--

You get the benefit of a high speed SSD for your cache and the low cost of a mechanical drive.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:07 pm
OK guys we move on - I now have a 120GB SSD vertex 3 hard drive - I have reinstalled vista home premium (temporarily) 2 strange things now happen

1 - I can not open the microsoft hotmail log in page. When i try all that happens is the browser keeps opening tabs that fail and so on repeat process
2 - My G35 logitec headset is not working in TS3 only. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both headset and TS3 and still the same

Does anyone have any fixes please?

Smile

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:06 pm
I I tend to rebuild with a large-ish SSD and a pair of HDs soon.
1. I think your problem with hotmail maybe because you now have an 'older' version of internet explorer. Try using firefox or chrome or safari as a check.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:01 pm
Ok, as far as your TS issue with your sound...It is better and easier if I was in your computer, or I can walk you through things..But I will try to help you trouble shoot it here now...

Team Speak

1. Start TS and click on Settings
2. Go to Options
3. Go to Playback
4.. Be sure Playback mode: is set for Automatically use best mode AND Playback Device: Here you must choose what ever you are using to hear your sounds with. I have mine set to my G-930 Head Set (Logitech G930 Headset)

Windows Sound

On the bottom of your Task bar next to your time, Right Click on the little speaker and choose Playback Devices.
Here you need to see what Windows (or you) has specified to be your Default Playback Sound Device You need to Right Click on what ever device you want to use and set it as Default

Let me know what you find...I will be on TS today (8/14/11) till about 4pm EST.  or just PM me and I'll get it too...

The issue with your Windows log in page, this might be a simple thing like all the Windows Updates....If you just reinstalled windows, I think there's like over 130+ updates. I do know that there is a Windows Live update in there. And you also might have to have the latestIE9 running also...If you don't want to try Firefox and Google Chrome too, like UchiMata suggested.

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:04 pm
Hi Hawkeye.

All of your suggestions followed through man. I think you may have been at crossed purposes - it is my microphone not working - i hear all fine in my headset but can not get the mic to work in TS.

It works fine in windows tests and logitect test modes, it even works fine in game talk - It is just on TS3.

As for the internet isses I doo keep being asked if I want to chose an internet browser pop up from microsoft. I will follow through with it and see what occurs.

I will be istalling windows 7 shortly so not too fussed atm.

Thank you Buddy for your assistance thus far

Salute Green Label  Smile