Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Newegg vs Tigerdirect

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:21 pm
So I just wanted to post my thoughts on Newegg vs Tigerdirect. I got all the parts but my power supply from newegg and Tigerdirect and called both for support.

Tigerdirect was very quick with the shipping and I was very impressed with the online and on the phone support. I had one item become back ordered and it was going to be a long wait so I called and asked them to just exchange it. They gave me free ground shipping for the issues and where very quick on fixing everything. Over all I was very impressed and found great deals on tigerdirect.

Newegg was just ok... The prices where good but the shipping was slow. I rodered parts from Newegg and Tigerdirect on the same day in the same hour and it took Newegg a extra 37 hours to ship after Tigerdirect shiped my parts. I ordered from Tigerdirect Wed they shipped Thursday morning and I got it Saturday. New egg shipped on Friday afternoon and I'm not getting the part till Thursday. This is not the first time that it took Newegg almost 48hrs to ship.

So over all the price on both sites are great. Over the phone the tech support is about the same but Tigerdirect seams to get the parts out the door a few days quicker.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:45 pm
A word of caution about this. From what I have seen of the two businesses, tigerdirect does everything in house, that is, they get parts shipped to them, and then package them for you. Newegg does things more like amazon.com, they have suppliers all over who are affiliated with them.  

Is one better than the other? I don't know. Tiger direct seems to have less back-supply of parts, so items get backordered quicker, but Newegg takes slightly longer ti ship I. The first place, and has a larger selection...

SSG.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 pm
I guess it depends on how quickly you need to get the part. If your like me and wanted the part quicker then 7 days I would say go to tigerdirect. If you are in no hurry to get the part I wouldn't worry about where I buy from.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:19 pm
bought my case from new egg but it shipped from rosewill(sp) and arrived in 2 days....
most of my newegg orders take about 3 business days from NJ to NH

never dealt with tigerdirect, arent they part of compusa?...never liked compusa retail , only worse retailer is best buy IM not so HO

amazon free ground shipping really stinks, sent my proc US Postal service, took a week(but neither newegg or tiger had the one i wanted) was a pnp upgrade fron 235e(daul) to a 615e(quad), didnt dare use a proc that drew more wattage at the time(both are 45w procs) as i was running a 4670 vid card and was only using stock PS, combo worked good for the time i needed it.

next upgrade is going to be amd 1100T and a plain copy of windows 7(currently using cloned hard drive of my emachines, want to put it back together)

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Tigerdirect bought the CompUSA name after CompUSA went out of business.  I like them also and they have their main warehouse in my town with an attached store.  Very handy and no shipping!

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
I have order from both and very happy with them. Newegg has a warehouse in Memphis Tn so if I order from them before noon I get it the next day, so for that reason I buy more stuff from them.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:32 pm

TheDon wrote (View Post):

Tigerdirect bought the CompUSA name after CompUSA went out of business.  I like them also and they have their main warehouse in my town with an attached store.  Very handy and no shipping!

Tigerdirect/CompUSA/Circuit City, all the same now.

I never order from Tiger.  Seems I can always find what I need cheaper from Newegg or Amazon.

And as far as customer service, Newegg has always been top notch with me.  One of the easiest companies I have dealt with.   Once I bricked a brand new motherboard and they still replaced it.  Another time I had a DOA video card(hey it happens) and they went ahead and did a cross shipment RMA for me.  No charge for shipping either of the RMA's back.  Even the one that was my fault.

Another company called Zipzoomfly(formerly called googlegear) USED to be awesome.  Better prices than Newegg, great deals.  When their name changed they started to go downhill.  Their sales suck, and so does their shipping.  Same thing with Chiefvalue.com, Newegg's "sister" site.  Their prices and deals aren't that great either.

There's also Mwave.com.  They aren't so bad.  Sometimes good prices and deals, lots of coupons available for members(free) of the site.

Frys.com used to be great for me, but when DHL stopped delivering here they started handing everything to the USPS, so I stopped ordering from them.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 pm
I buy from both of them. With both my last two builds I have bought parts from both companies. It usually depended on which had the parts I wanted and which was cheaper. Having said that I have not had any issues with them with the exception of my last build. I bought a Western Digital HD with the new 6 g/s transfer speed from Newegg. The first one then sent would not even work and the second though working at the moment constantly gives my HD errors that system mechanic has to correct. At one point it corrupted my registry and required a complete reinstall. The only reason I havent replaced it yet is I dont have the extra money and I have a backup HD with all my data that I could bring up if the other fails. Now whether this is a reflection of buying it from Newegg or just problems with these newer HD's I am not sure. It is the only problem I have ever had with Newegg. I might be leery of buying another HD from them but I would still buy my other parts from them. As for delivery, all my parts I ordered were in stock so they have been pretty much the same as far as how long it took me to get them.

"Do or do not there is no try!"
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 am
I haven't tried Tiger, but newegg is nice because of the prices and reviews.  

Overall I think the best place for whatever if they have what you want is amazon.  I only say this if you have a "prime account," its free for students so that is why I have it.  It's great because they give you free 2 day shipping and overnight is only like a $4 upgrade.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 am

MisterMadd wrote (View Post):

I haven't tried Tiger, but newegg is nice because of the prices and reviews.  

Overall I think the best place for whatever if they have what you want is amazon.  I only say this if you have a "prime account," its free for students so that is why I have it.  It's great because they give you free 2 day shipping and overnight is only like a $4 upgrade.

Even without Prime they offer free "super saver" shipping on a lot of stuff.  I always take that into account when ordering from them.  Larger stuff always ships UPS too.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:26 pm
I have a prime account on amazon and the wife and I use it all the time. I'm very happy with amazon and would recommend them to anyone.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:12 pm
So i ordered some more ram just like the last set from newegg and I got the wrong item. When I called them it took over 15 minutes to talk to someone. Then I was told that yes I have the wrong item and they need to talk to their warehouse to find out why. After they find out why they will send me a replacement item aka the item i ordered.

Very disappointed in how they handled this.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:08 am

Luke wrote (View Post):

So i ordered some more ram just like the last set from newegg and I got the wrong item. When I called them it took over 15 minutes to talk to someone. Then I was told that yes I have the wrong item and they need to talk to their warehouse to find out why. After they find out why they will send me a replacement item aka the item i ordered.

Very disappointed in how they handled this.

GOA.Luke*BK*

In a situation like this I'd escalate it to a manager and firmly ask that since this was their fault, and they recognize it, that they immediately ship the new part and you will send the old one when they provide a return ship label. I don't accept lame customer service when things are clearly their fault. Don't by shy in telling them that you will share your experience with 100, 200, 300+ other gamers here. Smile

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:13 am
Speaking as a Canadian consumer, I've used tigerdirect.ca twice and was disappointed each time. Once, they order took 2 weeks to get sent out due to a hiccup in the process, and the other time, they sent the wrong item, and it was a hassle to get it corrected. I've also used Newegg.ca a few times. They're good, I suppose, but shipping always takes a while (even considering customs) and support from an actual person was a little tough to get. If i order from the US, it's from them.

For any Canadian members, I have nothing but good to say about NCIX.com. Prices are usually good, but they'll price match anything, the service is the best I've encountered in a PC parts store, and they're shipping is insanely quick. All the parts I've ordered took only 2 days to get from Vancouver or Toronto, to Northern Alberta. The have a pseudo-sister store called directcanada.com - sometimes they have better prices. But NCIX will match it anway, so... I believe they also have ncix.com.us for you US folk, but I have no clue about dealing with them from the south.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:26 pm
Surprised you've had trouble with NewEgg Luke, my experience has been the opposite.

NewEgg is my go to source for cost, selection, shipping, and customer service.  In the dozen or so years of dealing with them, I have not had any defective products, late shipping, etc.  If I order before 1pm pst, I will get package in two days with free shipping! (excluding thursday or friday orders).  Customer service has allowed me in the past to return items that were (not returnable) for refund with no restocking fee.
The second source for onlne pc related stuff is amazon.com  Great customer service (liberal return policy), selection, and prices.  Their free shipping however blows; anywhere from 3 to 14 days or longer.
TigerDirect is a reliable source in which I've dealt with minimally in the past.  Good shipping and customer service.  However, I find that 99% of the time, I can find the same product cheaper on newegg or amazon.
Lastly, MicroCenter is a great source for CPUs.  They are consistently lower than anybody.  I watched the I7 2600k for a few months while I saved the cash, and MicroCenter was the best deal through months of watching prices online ($279).