Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Windows 7 Setup

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 am
Will  Win7 require RAID  drivers installed during setup on a clean install. If so I will have to do some research. Seems I recall problems getting that to work the first go around on Vista

MB is GigaByte EP45-UD3P
Intel P45 Q9400 Proc
South Bridge ICH10R

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 am
karrow go on TS..i'll help ya

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 am
I guess I missed u HeHaw. I try to get on tomorrow

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 am
Well..i'll give yo the answer for your question...lol, i did hang out for about 15 min on TS after i posted...but you didn't show.

Anyways, yes you do need to install the raid driver for win 7 during set-up.  It will ask you when you get to the install page.  It will ask what disk you want to install windows to, and below to the left i think, it says load other drivers, or something like that, after which will give a list of things you can install.  It's pretty straight foreward, and really easy if you have the install disk.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 pm
My experience is that your Raid will not show up till after you have loaded the driver. So when you get to the part where is asks you where you want to install windows, there may not be any drives showing till you load the driver. Most new builds will see a usb jump drive and I have loaded drivers from a usb before. I would suggest that you have only your raid setup installed at the time of installing windows 7 as sometimes it gets picky and will name raid drive setup "D" and a normal hard drive "C" even though you are installing to the raid setup. So then your OS is installed on the "D" drive and that make installing all other programs no fun as you always have to change the default install to "D". That has happened more than a few times to me. So Just to make sure windows installs where I want it to I only have the bare essentials in the new build when installing the OS. Very Happy

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Les73gtx wrote (View Post):

My experience is that your Raid will not show up till after you have loaded the driver. So when you get to the part where is asks you where you want to install windows, there may not be any drives showing till you load the driver. Most new builds will see a usb jump drive and I have loaded drivers from a usb before. I would suggest that you have only your raid setup installed at the time of installing windows 7 as sometimes it gets picky and will name raid drive setup "D" and a normal hard drive "C" even though you are installing to the raid setup. So then your OS is installed on the "D" drive and that make installing all other programs no fun as you always have to change the default install to "D". That has happened more than a few times to me. So Just to make sure windows installs where I want it to I only have the bare essentials in the new build when installing the OS. Very Happy

You may be right...i'm no pro at raid setup, but when i did a fresh install, i was able to setup raid through my bios first, and when i went to install windows i was able to load the drivers from a 3.5" floppy.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:58 pm
I would like to suggest some steps for you. So do try following it and lets hope that it works for you. Here goes the steps
1) First try with the connection of the drive and after having connected to it then power on and set the SATA operation to RAID.
2) Having done that reboot the system, while you are done with that use the ctrl+I at the post.
3) Here you will get the menu option and from there select the option reset to non raid disk.
4) Then again reboot and set the sata operation to AHCI or ATA as you need.
Do try these above simple steps and I am quite sure that it will work for you.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:10 pm
Thanks for the tips

Here is what I recalll from last year when I set this rig up.

First download and and extract the intel raid drivers to the usb drive

Insert the Win set up disk

boot the pc to bios and configure the RAID 0 ( Which is already setup but it is worth checking before the OS install gets started)

When set up runs you get the option to install the RAID drivers. But I believe WIN 7 is some what different. I think set up gets to point where you select the drive to installthe OS on. At this point my C drive will not be visible with out the raid driver. Should be the option to install drivers at this point. then installl the drivers and refresh the list and C drive should show.

Then the lonnnnggg processs begins of finishing the OS install, then update hardware drivers, installing tons of software and games.

I have a new power supply to install also. Probably install it and boot to my existing set up to check the powe rsupply out first.

After the new OS is installed it is tme to set up Crossfire.

I have a few days to plain this out my OS won't be hear for several days.

Then alls I can do is hope I thought to back up everything I needed.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 pm
From my understanding, you do not need to load raid drivers unless you are using a raid card. Windows 7 will load all the necessary drivers to run your drive(s)

So I guess the first question is do you use a RAID card? If not and your setting them up on the SATA ports, then just install Windows 7 with the normal load. No need to install the RAID drivers.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:04 pm
MB has a raid controller n board. It is running raid 0 now

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Bolerro wrote (View Post):

From my understanding, you do not need to load raid drivers unless you are using a raid card. Windows 7 will load all the necessary drivers to run your drive(s)

So I guess the first question is do you use a RAID card? If not and your setting them up on the SATA ports, then just install Windows 7 with the normal load. No need to install the RAID drivers.

Wrong...still need raid drivers.

Karrow you are using the intel drivers right?...they are MUCH better then the MB raid controller, and make sure to use the yellow SATA ports and not the purple ones.  Connect to sata 2 (1) and sata 2 (0), they work best in raid.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:24 am
yep intel drivers and sata 2 & 1